Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Custom Resolutions not showing up

APerr3
Beginner

Hello,

I am trying to use a small television as an external monitor on my laptop.

The TV supports 1920x1080 and 1360x768 as well as some other smaller ones.

Laptop is Thinkpad Carbon X1 with Intel HD graphics 5500.

When I send 1080 to the TV, the overscan crops out a significant amount of screen space and it is unusable.

When I send 768 to the TV, the resolution is too small to be usefull.

I have created several custom resolutions, however none show up when I try to set it to them.

I have looked around but most of the information I can find about custom resolutions seems a bit outdated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello phyrephox,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Please bear in mind that your best support is with your laptop manufacturer as they are more familiar with your system and how the components interact with each other.

What is your TV model?

How do you have the TV connected to the laptop, HDMI, VGA, DisplayPort etc?

Are you using any adapters?

Have you check with your laptop manufacturer to find out the proper configuration for an external display?

Please the latest graphics driver from the Intel website, you can download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40- Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

If you get a error installing this driver, try manual installation, please check how to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows 8*/8.1*

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
APerr3
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

The TV is a Toshia 19AV500U (about 20" diagonal.)

I am connecting to it using HDMI direct, no adaptors.

My driver is from lenovo (20.19.15.4351) which was released in November 2016 with notes indicating it included the most recent Intel driver which was released in August 2016. So I am pretty sure I have the most recent intel driver.

I have used external monitors before so I don't think it is that issue.

I was able to find out that most TVs overscan due to the nature of the signal and I see that underscan is an option as part of the custom resolution menu. However none of the resolution I create using that option show up in the selectable list.

Thank you for looking into this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The driver I posted above is a newer driver version than the one you have from Lenovo; here is also the link for the Beta Intel® generic driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26347/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=86210 Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

If you get an error installing this driver, uninstall the old one, do not restart your system and install this driver manually, please check how to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows 8*/8.1*

Make sure you have the latest BIOS version from Lenovo and make sure you HDMI is high quality cable.

Please check the following link on how to set up your Laptop with Intel® Graphics to a High Definition TV.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000023292.html Connect Your Laptop with Intel® Graphics (5th Generation or Older) to...

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if you were able to solve this issue..

Regards,

Ivan.
0 Kudos
APerr3
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

I have not been able to attempt your fix yet due to time constraints. I hope to try it out later this week and will update you when I can.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information, please keep us posted if you can try our recommendations.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
APerr3
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

I was able to try your suggestions today. Unfortunately I was unable to install either of the drivers you suggested. First I downloaded them and ran the executable. This gave the error that I should get a driver from my computer manufacturer. I then tried the method suggested in the manual install information page. That told me that the driver I had installed was already the most up to date. Finally I tried uninstalling the lenovo driver and installing either of the Intel drivers. This did not work and I got errors says the drivers would not work on my computer.

I then reinstalled the lenovo driver and attempted the solution found at the end of video you recommended. Unfortunately I was unable to use the setting that was recommended for fixed overscan (Customize Aspect Ratio). Doing some research, i was able to find that the Intel drivers do not support Customize Aspect Ratio for interlaced video. In addition, the TV does not support 60p video.

It seems I was able to glitch the driver a bit however. I created a Custom Resolution of 1920x1080 @ 30p. This was allowed to be selected and I was then able to use Customize Aspect Ratio to set some underscan. When I hit apply, the display reverted to 60i but the underscan remained. I assume this behavior is not intended, However it seems to work across plugging in and unplugging.

Thanks again for your advice.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are more than welcome!

The reason why you couldn't installed the driver is because you computer manufacturer does not allow the installation of the Intel® Generic Driver, your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver.

At least you found a solution that works for you and I hope you can have a better experience with your system from now on.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos