Items with no label
3335 Discussions

RealSense for 3D Vision?

BAmbu
Beginner

Hi all,

I want to port a video stream from a 3D camera directly to a screen for a user to view. I will eventually have information display upon this screen, but first I need to simply have a 3D video stream to a user viewer screen. The video needs to be in stereo. Part of the trick here is that I will want the platform to be mobile and I will need the video stream to have a high (>30) fps at a relatively high resolution.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If you can wait til around December, the forthcoming Project Alloy mixed reality headset may be ideal for you. Unlike headsets such as Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, it is truly wireless because it has a full Kaby Lake PC inside the headset. It has also been demonstrated to be able to have a video cable attached to it to output to a screen what the wearer is seeing.

The current design of Project Alloy contains a RealSense ZR300 camera. This camera is now available in a developer kit form from the Intel online store on pre-order for delivery in April.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxhofVF7TJQ&t=12s Intel Unveils AIO VR Project Alloy at Intel Developer Forum 2016 - YouTube

Alloy has been shown to run at 90 fps.

0 Kudos
BAmbu
Beginner

Wow, cool. I'm definitely going to have to look into this more. A quick question , though you may not know, is would this be able to take the video of my environment and port it directly to the screens? I assume this is a probably, but in the demo they don't show that function (probably because most people are more interested in VR and heavy AR than my light AR).

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

One of the key features of Alloy that gives it its merged reality name is that you can bring real-world elements around you into the virtual environment and use them interactively with virtual objects. This is the opposite of Microsoft's 'mixed reality' approach with HoloLens, where they bring virtual elements into a real-world view.

I showed you the IDF 2016 video because that was the one that demonstrated the video cable. In Intel's later CES 2017 presentation of Alloy, they showed how real-world footage such as live sports events and global environments will be able to be viewed too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3SHQ3-JwRU&t=280s Intel's Project Alloy Presentation | CES 2017 - YouTube

0 Kudos