Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Replace Vista with Windows 10

JGodf1
Beginner

I purchased my computer in 2009 (Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB memory) and all works fine. Vista is no longer supported and now Firefox is not being supported. Can I safely replace Vista with Windows 10? Are there any potential pitfalls? I can and will replace this desktop if needed. IF Windows 10 is added, what future do I have with old CPU and current op sys? If I only buy myself 2 years, then I will replace CPU.

I'm not a gamer but use computer for Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, no big video requirements (basic computer needs).

Any advise is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Well, without knowing your exact CPU model number, I think it will be safe to say it is not supported.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000006105.html Intel® Processor Support for Microsoft Windows® 10

However, that does not mean Windows 10 will not run on your PC.

If your graphics were provided by the CPU, they will likely not be supported as well.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products

Again, this does not mean you will not have graphics.

Now, upgrading to Windows 10 only works for Windows 7 and Windows 8.x. So, you will have to do a full install. And, any applications you had will have to be reinstalled. If you do not have your office install media, that is not necessarily a problem. If you do not, respond back with your office version.

Plus, there is always your data to back up and restore.

4GB memory is a little on the lean side, if you are going to install Windows 10 64-bit. But, it is not critical at this point.

Replacing the CPU a couple of years from now, in my opinion, really will not buy you much.

So, as a non-gamer, and using MS Office, you should be OK. I say that gently because, from an official standpoint, you will not be supported hardware-wise.

I recently upgraded over 20 machines, 15 of which were similar (to yours), and all upgraded successfully. Just saying.

Doc (all standard disclaimers apply)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Well, without knowing your exact CPU model number, I think it will be safe to say it is not supported.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000006105.html Intel® Processor Support for Microsoft Windows® 10

However, that does not mean Windows 10 will not run on your PC.

If your graphics were provided by the CPU, they will likely not be supported as well.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products

Again, this does not mean you will not have graphics.

Now, upgrading to Windows 10 only works for Windows 7 and Windows 8.x. So, you will have to do a full install. And, any applications you had will have to be reinstalled. If you do not have your office install media, that is not necessarily a problem. If you do not, respond back with your office version.

Plus, there is always your data to back up and restore.

4GB memory is a little on the lean side, if you are going to install Windows 10 64-bit. But, it is not critical at this point.

Replacing the CPU a couple of years from now, in my opinion, really will not buy you much.

So, as a non-gamer, and using MS Office, you should be OK. I say that gently because, from an official standpoint, you will not be supported hardware-wise.

I recently upgraded over 20 machines, 15 of which were similar (to yours), and all upgraded successfully. Just saying.

Doc (all standard disclaimers apply)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jg4725,

At this point, I suggest you to take Al Hill advice, based on the information you provided your system does not support Windows® 10, you can still try to install Windows® 10 on your PC but how stable is going to be is hard to tell since there is no drivers available for your system.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos