Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Which GPU renders what when using both integrated and discrete GPUs simultaneously?

Llado
Beginner

If I connect one monitor to the discrete GPU and another to the onboard, how is it determined which GPU renders which parts?

If I open a game on the monitor connected on the discrete, I guess it'll be rendered the discrete, but what happens if for example I put the game in windowed mode and move it in between both monitors?

Will each GPU render half of the game? If so, what happens with the difference in rendering speed?

Will it still be rendered by de discrete? If so, how does the information get to the other monitor?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ladorm,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

In this case, this is determined by the BIOS configuration. In other words, the graphics video BIOS on both components will set a primary video output.

All other answers will depend on what is the primary video set in the BIOS.

You can also check the following article for further information:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005669.html Frequently Asked Questions for Switchable Graphics Feature

Hope this information helps.

Please don't hesitate in replying to this post if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
Llado
Beginner

Hi, Juan Carlos, thanks for the reply

I'm talking about desktop PCs. The FAQ I believe is about notebooks.

My question is what happens when I connect one monitor to the onboard GPU and another monitor to the discrete PCI-e GPU.

Each GPU renders the monitor connected to it? Or one GPU renders both monitors? If one GPU renders both, how does the information go from that GPU to the monitor connected to the other GPU?

I've tried this on my PC, and i have both Intel and AMD icons active, which makes me think that both GPUs are rendering stuff

Thanks again

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ladorm,

Sorry for the misunderstanding,

Talking about what GPU are you using for a specific task, it actually depends on the task you are performing.

If you are running basic apps or programs, most likely it is the iGPU the one being used, no matter the monitor where you have the window, for intensive gaming or high graphics demand, the external graphics card will handle that graphics demand.

I would recommend contacting the video card manufacturer for further information.

You can read the following article that talks about switchable and hybrid graphics:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2315068/graphics-card-switching-hybrid-graphics.html What is graphics card switching/hybrid graphics?

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ladorm,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance.

If so, please don't hesitate in replying to this post.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos