Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

s5000xvnsasr bios update

idata
Employee

I have s5000xvnsasr with BIOS version S5000.86B.03.00.0059 (release). And want to update it to a stable v.0066. Because a bootable cd rom IDA was hang on the step of flashing BMC or BIOS from .zip-file "XVN_10_13_2006" (for IDA), I tried to flash bmc55.bat from bootable USB drive (S5000PSL_XSL_XVN_RA_DOS_Firmware_Update5). Because this process was not completed, I repeated it with shorting 2-3 pins on J1E3 jumper "BMC Forced Update"... And destroyed BMC firmware: BIOS Error Manager displays error 84F2 "Baseboard Management Controller failed to respond". I think, flashing my BIOS to required version R0064 will resolve problem updating BMC55. And after that I will be able to update the BIOS to a stable v.0066. Am I right or wrong? Please help me to solve the problem.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
idata
Employee

We understand that it seems that the BMC is failing to respond after trying the firmware update. We are glad to help you even though this board has reach it's end of interactive support.

We would like to know what is the exact package that you downloaded to run the update to further investigate on this matter. Can you provide us the link that you used?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In the "bmc55.txt" file of this package the requirement is bios R0064 (not my version R0059), but I do not found it on intel.com.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That is the reason why it got corrupted. You jumped to a higher version; now I would also like to confirm if the product you have is the server board itself or you are using a compute module MFS5000SI?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the workstation board S5000XVNSAS itself with PCIe x16 slot without onboard video.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In this case since it got corrupted the next course of action that you can try as a workaround would be keep on upgrading the firmware until it gets to BIOS version 98. Let us know if you were able to try those steps.

Regards,

Esteban V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's so sad. Your proposal to try to update the BIOS to version 0098 seems to me hopeless: it was from this step that I started using IDA (I reported here that the process was hanging, since the installed components required too later versions of both BMC and SDR and BIOS, respectively). The earliest installation package, placed on the intel.com, also proved to be inapplicable, and even, with hardware forcing, resulted in damage to the BMC. Only the earlier installation package need me, IMHO. But it is absent on the intel.com

Would you please help me?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sergey,

I am taking your case in order to help you with the issue you are experiencing.

However, I would like to let you know that your motherboard is in End of Interactive Support (EOIS) status which includes the fact that I am not familiarized with it.

Nevertheless, per customer's satisfaction, I am here to assist you in all that is within my possibilities. Consequently I would like to ask the following questions:

1. Could you please clarify what BIOS/BMC/FRUSDR versions were originally installed in your motherboard before attempting the update?

2. If I understand correctly, you want to update the firmware to BIOS 98, BMC 66, and FRUSDR 48. But, the first step you took was to update it to BIOS 66, BMC 55, and FRUSDR 39?

3. You stated you need a package that contains BIOS 64 (no matter what BMC and FRUSDR versions contain). Is this correct?

In the meantime you reply to us, I will try to find out if it there is a firmware package in the archives that contains the aforementioned BIOS version (64).

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Hector R.

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Greetings to you, Hector!

Installation packages up to the BIOS version R0066 require at each stage of the upgrade the respective components of the previous level. Since my BMC is corrupted (it shows an unreal version 10.48), I believe that I need to start the process of updating the firmware from the recovery of the BMC from the version number that requires firmware BIOS with the current version of my board R0059.

Otherwise, the firmware process is simply not completed. That is, I need to start with the BMC firmware from the installation package where the my BIOS R0059 is required. These requirements are specified in the text file "bmc**.txt" of the installation package. And whether it will be a package with BIOS R0064, I do not know.

It's more important for me to restore the board's management controller. And a stable version of BIOS (R0066) that supports the latest 5000 series processors in importance afterwards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi there!

While we wait for Hector to see if he can get a hold of that package version, could you please confirm the PBA of your board. This might help to further investigate this issue.

Regards,

David A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Greetings to you David! I am very flattered to your participation in my problem. Thank you!

PBA of my baseboard is D25028-803.

Sincerely yourth, Sergey.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for sharing this information. I was unable to get a hold of the specific Firmware Package that has BIOS update 0064. I am not sure if we are going to be able to get it after all.

Based on the versions that came with your board, you should have been able to install firmware 0066 with no issues. It is possible that the issue is with the BMC itself instead of versioning issue.

At this point, I would recommend using the clear CMOS jumper to clear any possible firmware errors, then go to BIOS > Server Management > and enable Clear System Event Log. Then apply the firmware update package for BIOS 66 once again.

I was also wondering how usable the board is at this point. Are you able to boot to an Operating System? The reason I ask is to see if you could collect the logs of the unit (this might error out since the issue is related to the BMC).

David A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Following up on this matter we would like to know if you were able to try the previous steps provided by David, if so let us know the results.

Steven V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello. Yesterday I again tried to update the BIOS to version 0066 as David said . However, unfortunately the BIOS firmware process was not completed again, it was hang. It seems that the problem could have been solved using a package with my BIOS version or even a release one version. Because BMC is corrupted.

Thank you very much for participating in my problem, Sergey.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am sorry to hear that. Our resources are limited as we have discontinued this board a while ago. I hope next time we can be more help.

0 Kudos