Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Windows 10 intel ssd 540s superfetch on or off?

idata
Employee

Many people say on the internet for ssd superfetch should be off.What does intel say about Windows 10 superfetch on intel ssd?On or off?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello AlexAlexandru,

Regarding your request, you should disable the superfetch option for SSDs.

In this http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/software/000006462.html link you will find more information about it, please refer to the part "What are the requirements for TRIM?" Basically we do recommend disabling superfetch.

Let us know if you require any more assistance.

Regards,

NC
EEsca1
Novice

I'm actually pretty surprised by this answer. If you look under System Tuner in Intel SSD Toolbox, it lists the setting "SuperFetch/Prefetch", Status "Feature is Optimized", and the Recommended action is "No action required - Intel recommends enabling SuperFetch for SSDs in Windows 8.". Looking in service manager, the Superfetch service is running.

And this is weird... I see on this page that the screenshot of the toolbox at this link is giving the opposite advice:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/software/000006395.html Tuning Your Intel® Solid State Drive with the Intel® SSD Toolbox

I am running Win10 Anniversary Update, for the record.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi AlexAlexandru,

Actually the status "Feature is optimized" means superfetch and prefetch are disabled. If by any chance you see the service still running, we recommend to follow these steps:

1. Hold the Windows Key, while pressing "R" to bring up the Run dialog box.
  2. Type "Regedit", then press "Enter".
  3. The Registry Editor window appears. Navigate to the following location in the Registry.
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    • SYSTEM
    • CurrentControlSet
    • Control
    • Session Manager
    • MemoryManagement
    • PrefetchParameters
  4. On the right side, double-click on "EnableSuperfetch". If this value doesn't exist, right-click the "PrefetchParameters" folder, then choose "New" > "DWORD Value".
  5. Give "PrefetchParameters" one of the following values:
    • 0 – to disable Superfetch
    • 1 – to enable prefetching when program is launched
    • 2 – to enable boot prefetching
    • 3 – to enable prefectching of everything
  6. Select "OK".
  7. Close the Registry Editor.
Please let us know if it worked, about the screenshot, we will double check in our lab with a Windows® 10 system about the "recommended action" since we just checked on a Wndows* 7 and only shows: "No action required"

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
EEsca1
Novice

"Actually the status "Feature is optimized" means superfetch and prefetch are disabled."

I suspected this might be the intent, but the reality appears to be different. Everything I'm seeing says it's enabled. And I am a bit confused by your directions.

"

• On the right side, double-click on "EnableSuperfetch". If this value doesn't exist, right-click the "PrefetchParameters" folder, then choose "New" > "DWORD Value".
  • Give "PrefetchParameters" one of the following values:
    • 0 – to disable Superfetch
    • 1 – to enable prefetching when program is launched
    • 2 – to enable boot prefetching
    • 3 – to enable prefectching of everything

"

My SuperFetch service is enabled and I don't have an existing registry key for either "PrefetchParameters" (that's the name of the folder, not a key, so not sure how I can give it a value, unless you mean create a "PrefetchParameters" key in a folder of the exact same name) or a key called "EnableSuperFetch" either. What I do have is a key called "EnablePrefetcher", and that one is currently set to a value of 3.

Please note, this is a 4 day old clean install of Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Update. I know I have not tweaked these settings, and the Intel Toolbox Tuner has called my settings "optimized" since I installed (and honestly it was the same prior to the AU, I don't think the AU changed anything in this regard).

So, if my System Tuner thinks the "Feature is optimized" means SuperFetch is disabled, it is incorrect, because everything I see says it's enabled and always has been.

At any rate, after clarification of what keys I'm actually supposed to have at the end of my editing, could you suggest which of the values 0-3 I should set the key to? I always thought that SuperFetch and Prefetch are two different things and the recommendation may be different between the two. If the recommendation is to disable Prefetch *and* SuperFetch, then I guess the value I would set the value to should be 0?

0 Kudos
DCoop1
Beginner

I'm running the same version of Win10 (64 bit). It's not a fresh installation if that matters. Superfetch is enabled. The tuner insists on re enabling it if I disable it. There is only one drive, a 540s SSD running the latest firmware. The previous firmware exhibited the same behavior. The SSD is a cloned upgrade from a mechanical drive.

I too am confused by the apparent inconsistent advice.

0 Kudos
EEsca1
Novice

Oops, I forgot to mention, I'm using an Intel 750 1.2TB SSD, not the 540s, if it matters.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Pattex,

Thanks for posting in our forum. It seems in your case the option is enabled due to the cloning you performed.

Qwinn,

Let's try a little different, could you and Pattex try the following:

-Hold the Windows Key, while pressing "R" to bring up the Run dialog box.

-Type "services.msc", then press "Enter".

-The Services window displays. Find "Superfetch" in the list.

-Right-click "Superfetch", then select "Properties".

As you can see, you can disable the service from there. Let us know if that worked fine.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
EEsca1
Novice

I disabled the SuperFetch service per your recommendation.

This is the result:

0 Kudos
DCoop1
Beginner

Same behavior for me. The tool wants to re-enable Superfetch.

I've got a Samsung drive installed in a work laptop. Magician optimization has been applied. The Superfetch service is disabled.as a result.

To reconcile inconsistent information, please advise what the services and registry settings should be. I assume Superfetch should be disabled. what about Prefetch?

http://www.disk-partition.com/windows-10/ssd-optimization-windows-10-4348.html SSD Optimization Tips for Windows 10 You May Want to Know

0 Kudos
IIanM
Novice

The reply dialog doesn't run properly on Safari on iOS.

0 Kudos
IIanM
Novice

On Windows 8 and higher versions, the Superfetch service is optimized for SSDs and is on by default when running on SSDs. Therefore you guys should re-enable it if you had shut it down.

idata
Employee

Hello.Why does it says "Feature is not optimize" when I have set DIMP.If I press Tune it is set to HIPM,Isn't DIPM better than HIPM?

idata
Employee

Hello AlexAlexandru,

We would like to verify all this information you and Pattex have provided to us, specially because we have compared the one we have here and it does not show the same behavior.

We will keep you posted as soon as we have any solution for it.

Regards,

NC
EEsca1
Novice

Er, just checking, is the behavior I'm showing also different from what you're looking at? Or is the Intel 750 different somehow?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello all,

We just have confirmation from our engineering support team that Superfetch should be enabled in Windows® 10, just like it should be for Windows 8*.

Basically, the way you have it setup was correct in the first place. We are working on new documentation in order to cover this feature for Windows® 10 as well, since we were testing this in Windows 7*.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

We are following up and we would like to know if you require any further assistance.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos