Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14517 Discussions

i7-6700HQ Overheating and Repasting issue

NNick5
Beginner

I have recently purchased Acer V15 Nitro VN7-592G, I am using it for video editing and rendering.

i7-6700HQ

GeForce GTX 960M GeForce GTX 960M

8GB DDR4 SDRAM

During rendering the temperatures of the processor increase to high 90's C, sometimes peaking at 97C. Cool Boost is on, power profiles are on active cooling. Laptop is on a table in a room with a 24C temperature. So to summarize:

Idle – 40/50C

Load – 90/97C

Room Temp – 24C

After a while I have decided to repaste the cpu and gpu as I got too worried about stressing the package so much. An hour or so of fiddling and old paste was gone and new Arctic Silver 5 was applied. My only concern was that CPU area was way smaller than the heatsink, original paste was smudged all over the heatsink and on the CPU. I applied paste on the CPU only, guessing that the remainder of the heatsink would stay clean and cause no issues.

Few stress tests in and a rendered video the temperatures went down:

Idle – 30/34C

Load – 80/90C

Room Temp – 24C

At this point I have discovered another issue or so it seems. Differences between core temperatures are substantial during load. Idling they are all at 30C to 34C. At load though it is a different story:

Core 0 – 90C

Core 1 – 73C

Core 2 – 89C

Core 3 – 66C

Package – 90C

That just looks bizarre. Should I reapply the CPU paste and put it no the heatsink as well? Any ideas, thoughts or comments?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

The processor temperature seems to run under specifications, please bear in mind that you are currently running an Intel® processor for mobile computers.

The processor temperature can go up to 100°C. In regard to the processor cores, they are fine, there is always one core running high temperatures than others.

Please check the link below for more information about processor temperature:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005791.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005791.html

Allan.

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

I would check your heatsink mounting and fan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, please let me know your findings.

Allan.

0 Kudos
NNick5
Beginner

Update: I went ahead and re-applied CPU paste one more time, this time around making sure that I have minimal thickness and maximum spread all around the dye.

After reboot and 10-15 thermal cycles temperatures not only went down but the average difference between the cores is not at a healthy 5C degrees. I also installed Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and set the core voltage offset to -80mv (do at your own minimal risk). That decreases the top temperatures during heavy loads to 85C at highest.

All in I am very pleased with the result.

But I can only recommend it if you are comfortable with disassembling your laptop and reapplying the paste yourself potentially few times, if not take it to service and let them do it for you.

Thank you all again who replied.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear this is working for you.

Allan.
0 Kudos