Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Playing videos for a while freezes my computer (HD Graphics 630)

LPast1
Beginner

I've been using my computer for a while. But I don't know how to DXVA2, until about a month ago, I finally know how to configured and use that in MPC-HC.

Now, I think I'm having a problem with video playback with DXVA2. I didn't experience this when playing videos without DXVA2. Every time I play a video in MPC-HC. Usually just to listen to music of the video, so I let it in the background and make it replay over and over again. After playing about 20 minutes to an hour, it freezes mycomputer. I cannot move and click my mouse, the keyboard is not responding, and the screen freezes. The sound of the video didn't keep playing but rather just repeat a small part all over (kind of like a CD player keep reading and playing the same part on the disc), and I have hard reset my computer. In a month, I experienced this about 6-7 times.

This problem seems to happen with videos at any kind of format, resolution and fps. I don't know if this is my problem or if there is something wrong with DXVA.

Turning off DXVA and I can play videos for multiple hours without problem so I'm sure that the problem is related to DXVA.

I'm using Pentium G4600, with Intel HD Graphics 630, on Gigabyte B250M-Gaming 3, with latest BIOS. I'm using Windows 10 Version 1709 (Fall Creators) and it is up to date, I have this problem on both driver version 15.60.0.4849 and 15.60.01.4877 (latest driver - currently using). I don't enable any image and color enhancement.

Because I only MPC-HC 64-bit, which always goes with K-lite Codec Pack, for playing videos so I don't know if this is going to happen with other players. In MPC-HC, I use LAV Video decoder, and in MPC-HC Playback settings, I use EVR (Custom Presentation). I set Hardware Decoder in LAV Video settings to DXVA2 (Native). I do updated K-lite Codec Pack but the problem still occurs.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

DXVA2 is used since Windows Vista, there should be no issue on contemporary rigs. Check out https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc307941(v=vs.85).aspx About DXVA 2.0 (Windows)

Since you are using the latest Windows version, you can use the new GPU monitor built into task manager.

Press SHIFT+CTRL+ESC to open task manager, select performance tab, select GPU.

Run a problematic video in an endless loop and observe "video decode", "video processing" and "GPU memory".

The culprit should reach 100% when your computer freezes.

Otherwise double-check the same movie in VLC or Windows' built-in media player.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

DXVA2 is used since Windows Vista, there should be no issue on contemporary rigs. Check out https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc307941(v=vs.85).aspx About DXVA 2.0 (Windows)

Since you are using the latest Windows version, you can use the new GPU monitor built into task manager.

Press SHIFT+CTRL+ESC to open task manager, select performance tab, select GPU.

Run a problematic video in an endless loop and observe "video decode", "video processing" and "GPU memory".

The culprit should reach 100% when your computer freezes.

Otherwise double-check the same movie in VLC or Windows' built-in media player.

LPast1
Beginner

I was able to pull out that problem again, and yes, video processing, video decoding and 3d goes up 100% then the screen freeze. I think it has something to do with the EVR (Custom Presentation) mode in MPC-HC, it didn't happen in the normal EVR mode. The problem doesn't happen with video play directly on Youtube, and also with Windows' Movies & TV app. So it is a software problem.

Before switching DXVA2 Native (after digging around on how to enable that), I use DXVA copy-back, which as I know, those two are different, and didn't have any problem for half a year.

By a way, thanks for telling me.

0 Kudos