Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Support Assistant Fails to Install Driver for HD 630

Zingam
Beginner

The Support Assistant application reports that there is a driver update:

Then it downloads the driver and:

I get the error:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005469/graphics-drivers.html Error Message: Computer Manufacturer Graphics Driver Detected

My complaint is: the Support Assistant shouldn't report a driver update if it cannot be installed.

Why is that even an issue. Intel should start providing generic drivers that should be possible to always install instead of modified vendor drivers, who never/rarely update them. This is really a bad user experience if you depend on latest driver features.

BTW My current driver was installed by Windows Update and is the same version which is available by the laptop vendor.

Linux can use a generic driver for HD 630 but Windows 10 cannot. Why should that be the case!

In my experience updating the graphics drivers usually is a necessity and a good thing as I have mostly seen significant improvements over the life-time of a device.

P.S. At least Driver Assistant installed an updated Bluetooth driver.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Zingam,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

We highly appreciate your feedback and I will forward it to the proper department to continue improving the tools we have available.

Regarding the generic drivers of graphics drivers, drivers provided by system manufacturers have been tested by manufacturers to ensure the functionality of their systems. We supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. Trying to install generic drivers is an option, but you may run into installation incompatibilities.

In addition, one of the objectives of the Intel® DSA is to provide customers with driver updates once they are released. However, it is always recommended to install your system manufacturer's driver first.

If you would like to install the latest graphics driver for your system, I recommend you to do it manually. These are the steps you can follow:

1 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

4 - Expand the Display adapters section.

5 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

11 - Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

13 - Reboot your computer

Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report. I will be helpful to provide accurate information about the installation issues you are having.

Link

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Wanner G.
Zingam
Beginner

Thank you for your answer. Please forward my rant to the responsible departments.

My issue with the current state of the graphics driver support as a customer and as a developer is that by relying on the laptop manufacturers to deliver up-to-date drivers creates a huge fragmentation of the ecosystem and graphics applications, specifically games rely of having the latest and greatest drivers to perform at their best. You cannot expect that the average user will know how to manually install a driver if that's even possible. Discrete GPUs were supported by generic drivers for years and my experience was always good. I am convinced that the same can be done for integrated drivers. Especially that now we have Kabylake-G.

This issue needs to be addressed. Intel should find a way sooner rather than later even if on future products only that the generic driver could be used safely by default.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Zingam,

Thank you for your response.

I can definitely understand your concern. We are working on improving this tool. For this reason, a new Intel® DSA was released recently. I am including the link below.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant?product=128824

Fixes and improvements were implemented to ensure the best experience possible. For example, a fix with certain OEM graphics drivers was included. I hope this helps.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Zingam
Beginner

You fixed the utility to not suggest Video driver updates but it also installs Bluetooth and WiFi drivers. Can one assume that these driver updates are legit (if the Video driver wasn't originally before the tool update)?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Zingam,

Absolutely. This tool detects your system's device information to provide accurate information to provide available driver updates that will keep your system up to date and it is reliable.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos