Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Dual monitors with 4k screen, 2560 x 1080 resolutions on Intel HD Graphics 620

DNg2
Beginner

Hi - I have a laptop running on a dual monitor setup.

I have two monitors, on which I'd like to extend the desktop on. Both are connected via Display Port on a docking station.

When I plug only the 2560 x 1080 monitor in, it shows at full resolution, which suggests to me the cable isn't the problem. (I have tried this with two separate cables, and both have worked.)

When I plug both monitors in, the 4k monitor displays correctly, but the secondary monitor shows only at 1920 x 1080, which is the highest resolution available.

I have attached the log files, which I've seen requested in the past.

Thank you for the assistance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Backlund

Thank you for contacting us.

In this case the issue that you are experiencing is caused due to a limitation on the bandwidth for the DisplayPort interface.

If the 4k monitor is on the highest resolution, there will not be enough bandwidth to increase the resolution on the secondary monitor, that's the specific reason why the secondary monitor shows only at 1920 x 1080 as the highest resolution available.

A workaround for the bandwidth to be enough for both monitors is to reduce the 4k monitor to 2560 x 1080, so the secondary monitor can be increased from 1920 x 1080 to 2560 x 1080 as well.

Another option is to use different ports for each monitor, reserving the DisplayPort for the 4k monitor and another type of interface such as HDMI for the secondary one.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Backlund

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
Surfaceuser
Beginner

I have a surface laptop with HD Graphics 620.

I used to have two monitors and recently I replaced one with wide display.  The required resolution is 2560 x 1080.  However, the highest resolution is 1920 x 1080.

I installed the Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 and the LG WFHD(HDMI).  As you can tell I am also connecting to a second monitor which only requires 1920 x 1080.

I also checked all the drivers are up to date but I do not see 2560 x 1080 even if I connect the monitor alone.  

Can you help to make it work?  

0 Kudos