Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

why must i reset network adapter intel dual band wireless ac 8260 3x/day?

wmax
Beginner

on win10 laptop, my network adapter intel dual band wireless ac 8260 (with latest drivers) fails to connect needs reset every other laptop session (i do it manually in device manager by 'disabling' then 'reenabling' the drivers which works 9 of 10 times to restore flawless internet connections). has been true for 1 year on lenovo and 2 years on asus prior to that. this has been true out of the box. i originally thought it was faulty drivers so tried others which changed nothing.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello wolfmagic,

We understand you're experiencing frequent disconnection issues on your laptop using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260.

In order to investigate, we would like some more information.

1. Did you have this problem with two computers, both using the same model wireless adapter? Or is this the same adapter that was originally in one, and has now been installed on your second laptop?

2. Is this a factory installed adapter, or an upgrade part?

3. Could you please share an Intel® System Support Utility report:

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU

2. While connected to your WiFi network, run the scan for "everything."

3. Save and name the report.

4. Wireless Autoconfig report:

1. Right click your start menu icon and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.

2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport

3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport\

4. Upload the wlan-report-latest.html file along with your reply.

5. What is your wireless router brand and model.

6. Does this happen in all networks?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
wmax
Beginner

1. Did you have this problem with two computers, both using the same model wireless adapter? Or is this the same adapter that was originally in one, and has now been installed on your second laptop? did not change/move adapters. same problem occurs on two separate computers that use the same adapter.

2. Is this a factory installed adapter, or an upgrade part? factory installed in both cases.

i attached it below.

3. System Support Utility report attached below.

4. Upload the wlan-report-latest.html file along with your reply.

opened windows power shell (admin) and ran command: failed, error is 0x5

You must run this command from a command prompt with administrator privilege.

5. What is your wireless router brand and model. see below.

6. Does this happen in all networks? this happens at every starbucks location and at home aka all networks, so its not any single router. the reason i know its the adapter is because the problem clears when 'troubleshooter' resets the adapter or when i manually reset the adapter.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wolfmagic,

Thank you for this information.

The command will work in both Command Prompt and in Powershell, but it's important to make sure you run either tool as administrator.

We can see that you're currently running the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software Version 19.71.0.

- Have you tested the latest system specific driver provided by your OEM (https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-YOGA-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-YOGA-460/downloads/DS118496 OEM release 20.10.2 for Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 460*)?

- Does the issue also happen if you use our current drivers and software package (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27750 20.50.0)?

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos