Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics Lag

idata
Employee

Not entirely sure where to post this question, but I've been having the most frustrating lag after clean installing Windows and all the drivers for my new HP Spectre x360 15 with Vega M Graphics.

After a few days of diagnosing, I seem to have found the culprit; the Radeon Graphics driver.

When disabling the device in device manager, the lag disappears (removing the driver appears to resolve the issue also), but once reinstalled, every 30 seconds or so, the computer lags.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this lag, and if there is a workaround that allows the driver to be installed and the device to be used while eliminating the lag.

I also have no clue as to who to contact about this, I feel HP would just tell me to uninstall and reinstall the driver (which I have tried, using the DDU application).

Could this be a hardware issue? or have others found this lag also?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Radeon Graphics Driver Version: 23.20.792.2048

Intel HD 630 Graphics Driver Version: 24.20.100.6094

Windows 10 1803

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel Communities Team, riom123. I will be more than glad to assist you.

After a clean installation of Windows 10* on this specific processor with Radeon* graphics first, you need to install the Intel® HD Graphics 630 drivers and then the Radeon™ RX Vega M GL drivers. If you did not follow that order after the installation of the Operating System, please uninstall both drivers and install them in that order.

In addition, I would appreciate if you can share with us a video when the issue occurs. Furthermore, is this happening with a game, application or just by the normal use of the computer? Finally, please share with us the results of the DxDiag* report, in order to generate it, please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the .txt file that was generated. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Antony,

Thank you for your suggestion regarding the driver order specification. I have uninstalled both AMD and Intel drivers and reinstalled them in the order you suggested, and still seem to have the micro-lag issue.

The issue seems to occur just by normal use of the computer, and I assume that this is something to do with the switchable graphics.

Another issue I have encountered is with the UAC prompt. (Again, these issues only occur when the AMD display driver is enabled)

I get a rather long pause, waiting for the UAC prompt, and hear the Windows UAC chime before eventually the dialog box displays.

I'm not sure how I would capture the lag as it seems to be an intermittent problem, however I will try and share a video of the problem.

As requested, I have attached the logs from the dxdiag report.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information, riom123.

I would like to know where did you get the image to complete the fresh Windows 10* installation? Did you get it from Microsoft or from HP?

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I used the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello riom123

I would like to step in and help if that is ok with you.

I was reading the issue description you provided, and it looks to be the same issue that is described here: . Please check it out and let me know if that is not the case.

It is a long thread, but in summary it talks about slow performance on different aspects of the User Interface (UI) occurring exclusively on laptops with Hybrid Graphics (i.e. Intel Graphics + Discrete graphics cards).

Intel was able to reproduce the issue, and after exhaustive research and debugging, we were able to provide a fix that is included in https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27803/ any driver released after build number 4982 (6th Generation and newer). After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining stuttering happening in various areas of the OS experience. We've now concluded that any remaining stuttering is coming from a different component (OS and Discrete graphics driver). This concluded Intel's investigation, and we are now considering this issue closed from the Intel driver side, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties (OS and Discrete graphics card vendor) to assist in any way we can should they desire.

For now, please install all the latest updates for both Windows and the discrete graphics card as they become available.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, riom123.

I would like to know if the instructions provided by Ronald_Intel worked for you?

Antony S.
0 Kudos