Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Intel Graphics 530 drivers causing black screen w/o cursor upon boot

RB2
Beginner

Hi everyone,

When i boot Windows 10 (version 1803), I am greeted with a black screen without cursor after the motherboard splash screen appears. This problem appeared a week ago (5/22/18).

I found that the problem was that Intel Graphics 530 drivers were causing the black screen, so I replaced them with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter drivers. These work fine, but they offer horrible performance and I am not able to do anything that is graphics intense (gaming, etc).

Through the process of finding what caused the black screen, I reformatted by hard drive and reinstalled Windows cleanly using a USB stick. I have also scanned for viruses using a lot of different programs (Malwarebytes, Bitdefender, Windows Defender, TDSKiller, etc), so the problem must be with the drivers.

I tried installing different versions of the driver, including ones all the way back in 2015, 2016, 2017 and the latest one 6094 released on 5/22. I have also tried installing drivers directly from my OEM manafacturer HP, but those didn't work (they were from 2015). I have tried to revert to Windows 10 version 1709 (the one before 1803), but all of the driver versions still do not work there. I tried everything, and I can't come up with any other solution. Help?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello chuotbeo174,

Thank you for contacting us, I understand that you are having black screen issues with your system.

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards.

Diego S.

RB2
Beginner

Here are the files

I had to use the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter drivers to run my pc (with a display, at least) and currently have the Intel Graphics Drivers uninstalled/disabled.

The computer actually works in the background when I have the black screen, I am able to sign in and (blindly) use the PC.

I clicked "everything" so it can scan everything : ) thanks for replying

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello chuotbeo174,

Thank you for your response.

In this case please go ahead and trigger the error (for testing purposes) by installing the latest drivers found here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27803/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=88345 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27803/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=88345

Once that the machine enters to the black screen mode please sign in (blindly) as you mentioned and do the following:

-Press CTRL+ Shift+Esc

-That is supposed to take you to a new task manager Window, then click on File>run new task.

- Please type in Explorer.exe and click OK.

Let us know about the behavior of the machine after that, as well please let us know if you are able to boot in safe mode with the latest Intel ® drivers.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Diego S.

0 Kudos
チドワード
Beginner

Hi. I'm having the same problem, which is strictly seen every time I install Intel(R) HD Graphics. Here is my System Information. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello osako_007

Thank you for joining this Community.

I understand that you are experiencing Black screen issues as well in your OEM system (Compaq Presario CQ57-202SI)

Based on the model of your system; we performed a research and we were able to notice that your machine is only compatible with Windows* 7 32/64 bit.

The last HP* drivers for this machine were released back in Mar 15, 2011 (available only for Windows* 7) as you can check here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/compaq-presario-cq57-200-notebook-pc-series/5091489/model/5112774?sku=LT174EA

The last Intel ® generic drivers for your Intel ® Pentium ® CPU P6200 were released back in Date: 2/19/2013 as you can check here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22521/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-Driver-Windows-7-64-Windows-Vista-64-exe- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22521/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-Driver-Windows-7-64-Windows-Vista-64-exe-

Based on the report that you sent to us we noticed that you are running Windows 10 pro; which is not supported by the hardware of your machine, creating compatibility issues between software and hardware.

Since the support for your machine is pretty limited (driver-wise) we strongly recommend you to contact your system manufacturer in order to check if there is any other update that you may apply, or if rolling the OS back could be the best option for your case I order to get rid of the black screens.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello osako_007,

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
チドワード
Beginner

Well, my PC was working just fine with the immediate version of Windows 10 (1709) before the latest one. I understand that the available drivers for my PC model are obsolete and might be the primary cause of my dilemma. I guess my options are now to wait for the guys at Microsoft to release patches that expand the compatibility of early generation PCs.

0 Kudos
RB2
Beginner

Update:

I finally got rid of the black screen (yay) when i plugged in another monitor (HP).

However, the weird thing is that when I plugged the original monitor (Samsung) back in, it worked? Maybe the HP monitor resetted the faulty monitor drivers.

0 Kudos
チドワード
Beginner

Having wandered throughout the internet, I realized no solution was working for me. Then I went back to my computer to study the installation logs. It is from there that I found the problem with black screen upon installing intel hd graphics drivers. Apparently, installation always stopped due to the computer's power plan/policy. It happens that the intel graphics driver won't work with the default Balanced Power Plan, which seems to be the default when installing Windows 10 1803. Therefore, to correct the black screen, I entered into Safe Mode and reinstalled the problematic intel graphics driver, then went to the Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options. Under the Balanced (recommended) option, I selected Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings, then expanding the 'Intel (R) Graphics Settings > Intel (R) Graphics Power Plan', I set both On battery and Plugged in to "Maximum Performance". Then I restarted my computer and voila! It worked. No black screen again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello osako_007,

Thank you for sharing your experience and documenting the steps you took to resolve this issue. Hopefully, other users will benefit from your experience.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
MChau3
Beginner

i have same issue with my intel HD 530 card.I am using my laptop with black screen issue from 2 years by doing 1 trick whenever i start my laptop it goes into black screen then i close my laptop's lid and open it and till another shutdown it works so i am using this temporary solution from last 2 years so help me to fix it now

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello manan1997,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

In this case, it is recommended to have the latest graphics driver provided by your system manufacturer. According to the report attached, there is a newer version that you can try

Lenovo* 80NW - Intel VGA_23.20.16.4973

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/es/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-y-series-laptops/y700-touch-15isk/80nw/downloads

Please verify that this is the correct laptop model and install the driver.

If installing the latest graphics driver does not fix this issue, then try modifying the Graphics Power Plans in Windows*

Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel > Power > Graphics Power Plans > Maximum performance.

It is worth mentioning that it is recommended to have a newer version of Windows* 10. According to the report attached, your system has Windows* 10, build 10586, which is an old version.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
MChau3
Beginner

i checked that the link you gave me is perfect for my model and i have tried to install latest driver from that link and it gave me error which you can see in below attached image and that image showing one path i have also attacked that path file image.however i already have maximum performance in power plans for graphics so all i need to do is install latest INTEL VGA driver without error if this will not work then i will try to update window 10 to latest version once i have installed latest build of win 10 and my touch screen stopped working so i will put this option in last so help me to solve error which is shown in image

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello manan1997,

Thank you for your reply.

Keep in mind that you may need to contact your system manufacturer to address this installation issue since you may need to perform specific instructions to successfully install it.

You can attempt to perform a clean install of the graphics driver in case old drivers are causing system conflicts. You may follow these steps.

1.Disconnect your unit from the internet.

2.Uninstall both the Intel Graphics driver and the Intel Display audio driver. To do this, follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

-Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method

-Uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver or the Intel® HDMI Audio Driver via the Device Manager Method.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html

3.Restart your computer. Go to the device manager and check if Windows installed another version of the graphics driver. If it does, please remove it and restart your computer one more time. Repeat the process until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

4.Once you do, please proceed with the clean install of the latest graphics driver provided by your system manufacturer.

5.Once the latest driver has been installed, you may enable the internet connection again.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
MChau3
Beginner

i tried installing new INTEL GRAPHICS DRIVER by link you provided and now the previous error is gone but i am facing new error box saying that "This installation package is not supported by this processor type"i have attached image below.Any solution or as you said i need to consult my system manufacturer for this problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello manan1997,

Thank you for your reply.

In this case, our recommendation is that you can contact your system manufacturer to perform the correct steps to install the driver software provided by them.

Even though installing a generic version of the graphics driver may resolve this issue, first contact Lenovo* since computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
MChau3
Beginner

so i upgraded to window 10 latest build and i solved the error with Intel graphics driver installation which was saying "This installation package is not supported by this processor type"and i have now latest driver for Intel graphics card but i still have problem with black screen when i start my laptop after window loading screen it goes to black screen.see below attached document for my system details (after latest window 10 upgrade)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello manan1997,

Thank you for trying out the steps recommended.

The graphics driver, 20.19.15.4474, provided by your system manufacturer should have fixed this black screen problem. Keep in mind that Lenovo* may have customized this driver to make it work with your system.

In this case, you can also try installing the latest generic version of the graphics driver for testing purposes.

Intel® HD Graphics 530

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27988/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=88345

If you install the generic version and the issue persists, please contact your system manufacturer so that they can confirm whether this is a hardware issue.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello manan1997,

Were you able to fix the issue reported by installing the generic version of the graphics driver?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
EKyse
Novice
0 Kudos