Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Your system is not intel optane memory ready "unsupported drive"

PChap3
Beginner

I can not get Intel Optane working the above error just comes up all the time.

I have formatted and tried various bios settings to get it working about 10 times.

My PC specs are:

i7-8700k

Gigabyte Z370 gaming 5 (Intel Optane memory ready)

EVGA 1070 Superclocked

Corsair vengeance 2x 16gb

512GB Samsung PM961 Polaris M.2 NVMe (22x80) PCIe 3.0 (x4) SSD (With windows 10 pro 64 installed on)

2tb Seagate barracuda mechanical.

Intel Optane 32gb memory (in the correct port)

"Originally had two 1 TB drives in raid to bought a single drive, thinking that would solve it"

Bios I have

Disabled CSM

Enabled RST on the Optane m.2 port

List Disk, cleaned and manually set my 2tb drive to GPT.

RST legacy Orom is disabled

Sata mode is: Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane system acceleration.

Updated my Bios to the latest version.

Iv been trying to resolve this for about 3 days and have run out of information that I can use to resolve it.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello KIA_PETE,

Thanks for being part of our community. We understand that you're receiving an "unsupported drive" message when trying to enable Intel® Optane™ Memory.

The problem is that you're booting from an NVMe SSD. The Intel® Optane™ Memory requires a single SATA boot drive with Windows 10 * to work. The rest of the settings seem to be fine.

You can find more details about Intel® Optane™ Memory requirements in the following article:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
PChap3
Beginner

Can the mechanical drive be modified to make optane believe it's a sata boot? Seems like a waste of a good bit of technology having to use it that way, since m.2 nvme is as cheap as it's sata SSD counter parts now. But the use of high storage drives is still in high demand it really limits optanes potential.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KIA_PETE,

Thanks for your reply.

At the moment, booting from a SATA drive is the only supported configuration for Intel® Optane™ Memory. Other users have pointed out this and it has already been suggested to our business unit for consideration.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos