Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

HD4400 not able to detect internal screen on my laptop in win 10 after the screen was changed

M_2
Beginner

Hi

The screen of my laptop is broken and I replaced It. The replacement was exactly the same display but the hw. revision was slightly different. It is an IPS AU Optronics 1080p panel. Since I changed the panel, the laptop is not able to detect the display using Win 10. I did some research and I'm 99,9% sure that this is a driver issue, here are my results:

OpenSuSE 42.3 - works perfectly, even HDMI, mini display port and audio over these interfaces

OpenSuSE 42.2 - works perfectly, even HDMI, mini display port and audio over these interfaces

Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS - works perfectly, even HDMI, mini display port and audio over these interfaces

Windows 10 using Microsoft Basic display adapter - internal screen works, mini display port and HDMI does not work

Windows 10 using 2015 driver provided by Microsoft - internal screen works, however the brightness is so dark that It is almost impossible to see anything, and the internal brightness control does not work. Mini display port and HDMI work either, audio over these interfaces also works ok

Windows 10 using latest 15.40.37.4835 drivers - internal screen is not recognized, mini display port and HDMI works perfectly, when I look at the control panel, only one screen (the external one) is recognized (Dell Monitor), however, there is no "Generic PNP Monitor" entry for the internal screen. Intel control panel is not able to detect more displays, only the external monitor is detected.

System information

Acer v5-573g using intel i5 4.200U, latest bios is already installed. Screen is AU Optronics 1080p IPS panel, the same one that came with the laptop originally, but the hw revision is higher.

0 Kudos
36 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Did you reset the embedded controller?

removable battery

us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13677

built-in battery

us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843

Try drivers from this list: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81497/Intel-HD-Graphics-4400 Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 4400

Select OS from right pulldown menu. Hit "show more".

If you encounter an error message about validation, then install driver via "have disk method" as described at:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-beta-graphics-drivers-surface

(ignore prolog about MS surface)

0 Kudos
M_2
Beginner

Hi

Thanks for your help!, here are the results:

- reset the embedded controller didn't work, my V-573g has a pin that must be pressed for 4 seconds, but It didn't work. I also open the back cover, removed the battery and the CMOS battery, but I got no difference at all.

- I used the beta drivers and the drivers back from 2015, the behavior is exactly the same

So here I am in linux, where the system works perfectly. I did a trick in my computer, pressing Fn + Tab I got the advanced menu and I disabled the Nvidia internal card (this laptop uses the Optimus technology by Nvidia) and I got a different result, quite interesting by the way!, in this way I got no video when I start windows 10, but if I plug my external monitor into the mini display port, I got video in the internal screen!!!, but no video in the external screen, quite weird result. The problem is that if I go to the control panel, the screen being recognized is the external Dell Monitor, even the system tries to set up the internal screen using the default resolution of my Dell's monitor. If I unplug the external monitor I got no video.

I'm pretty sure this must be a driver issue. As I said, currently I'm in linux, where both internal and external monitor works perfectly (extended desktop).

Here is the hwinfo output from linux from my screen (AUO Optronics IPS 1080p), the complete output is attached to this message, I hope this helps

29: None 00.0: 10002 LCD Monitor

[Created at monitor.125]

Unique ID: rdCR.gI6xPnuNQB3

Parent ID: _Znp.rm9YlziB_z8

Hardware Class: monitor

Model: "LCD Monitor"

Vendor: AUO

Device: eisa 0x41ed

Resolution: 1920x1080@60Hz

Size: 344x193 mm

Year of Manufacture: 2015

Week of Manufacture: 0

Detailed Timings # 0:

Resolution: 1920x1080

Horizontal: 1920 2028 2076 2100 (+108 +156 +180) -hsync

Vertical: 1080 1090 1100 1118 (+10 +20 +38) -vsync

Frequencies: 94.00 MHz, 44.76 kHz, 40.04 Hz

Year of Manufacture: 2015

Week of Manufacture: 0

Detailed Timings # 1:

Resolution: 1920x1080

Horizontal: 1920 2028 2076 2100 (+108 +156 +180) -hsync

Vertical: 1080 1090 1100 1118 (+10 +20 +38) -vsync

Frequencies: 141.00 MHz, 67.14 kHz, 60.06 Hz

Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

Attached to: # 14 (VGA compatible controller)

0 Kudos
M_2
Beginner

This is getting very weird!, I tried to connect to my external monitor using both a HDMI and a mini display port cable at the same time, Win 10 recognizes 2 Dell Monitors, one attached to the HDMI and the other attached to the DP, but I got video on my internal lvds screen!, so the driver believes that the mini display port is in fact the lvds screen for the video output but not for the settings (windows tells me that the resolution used is not the optimal one for my screen).

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Have you asked Acer if their motherboard supports the screen you installed? That is the first place to start. That other products/OS run "fine" is not relevant. What is important is the hardware must first be supported.

If the screen is supported, and assuming it is installed correctly, then we can move forward.

Talk to Acer support first.

Doc

0 Kudos
M_2
Beginner

Yes I did. I bought the screen replacement in https://www.sb-electronics.de/ sb-electronics which is an official acer partner support for replacement parts, giving my model and serial number. As I said before, the replacement screen was the very same brand and model than the broken one, just the HW. revision was different as this panel was build in 2015 and the broken one was from 2014.

You can look in internet, It is a common issue for this model that the panel is broken in 2/3 years, the problem is that the front cover is plastic made, quite bad quality, so the screen tends to blend when you travel with your laptop, resulting in screen damage.

I don't share your analysis. The system is able to start, the bios works, even the advanced settings recognize a 1080p LVDS panel, multiple other Operating System works (I will test Win7 soon) and It is just one OS that fails, this is a fact, not something to take as irrelevant.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

It is very important to know if the new screen is supported, and properly installed. At this point, since you say it is, we will have to go with that.

I was under the impression that you originally said the new screen was a higher resolution. Is that correct?

Doc

0 Kudos
M_2
Beginner

No, this is not correct

No hacks, no tricks, I didn't try to upgrade my laptop on any way, I'm quite happy with the screen It has by default. It came originally with a AUO Optronics IPS 1080p and the replacement is the same AUO Optronics IPS 1080p panel, just the HW rev. is different because the manufactured year is different, so I suppose they did a couple of modifications to fix here and there some minor mistakes (probably this new one does not blend as easy as in the previous revisions), everything I bought I did in an acer official partner for replacement parts.

I replaced It myself, but this is quite straightforward, as It is just removing the front cover, unplugging the screen from the LVDS, installing the new one and plug in back to the LVDS connector.

0 Kudos
M_2
Beginner

Please note that the cheapest V5 series uses a TN 1336x768 panel, I was very careful to send the data to sb electronics to get a perfect replacement, this is, IPS 1080p panel.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, all of this will help the Intel support staff with the problem.

Doc

0 Kudos
M_2
Beginner

Here two screenshots from HWiNFO64, one using the microsoft basic driver, where my LCD panel is detected correctly and the other one when I switch to the latest Intel HD Graphics 4400 driver, where only the DELL UltraSharp U2410 external monitor is detected in both DP and HDMI ports, no word of my AUO attached to the embedded displayport

EDIT: here is also the KDE control panel, that shows both internal and external monitor, the internal screen is attached to the eDP and the external one to the DP

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

mtruchado: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Graphics communities. We will do our best to try to fix this problem.

Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the graphics drivers provided by the manufacturer of the computer, in this case Acer, since they customized them to work specifically with your platform.

So, we can test driver version 10.18.15.4248:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/KH/content/support-product/4843?b=1 https://www.acer.com/ac/en/KH/content/support-product/4843?b=1

Besides that we can try to reset the BIOS to defaults and a BIOS update to the latest version, 2.30:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/KH/content/support-product/4843?b=1 https://www.acer.com/ac/en/KH/content/support-product/4843?b=1

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
M_2
Beginner

Hi

I installed the bios 2.30 long time ago

Changing the bios settings is the first thing I tried, I tried both defaults and non defaults, with no luck.

I tried with Acer own drivers and the situation persist.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi mtruchado: Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Based on the fact that the problem persists with the driver provided by Acer, and also that the laptop was working fine before and the problem started after they replaced the screen, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with them for further technical or warranty assistance on this subject:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
M_2
Beginner

Hi Alberto

I can't confirm that. I receive the laptop with no operating system in It. I don't remember if I used Win 10 with the old screen or not. When I first post my first message I was sure I did, but now I'm in doubt. What It is clear is that this is solely a Win10 driver issue. I contacted Acer in the way that I bought the panel from them, and I'm sure this panel is the right one because It is working on every single place but in Windows 10 in combination with your driver (using the microsoft basic display driver works but I have no HDMI/dp)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi mtruchado: Thank you very much for providing those details. We will do further research on this matter, in order for us to be able to do that, please provide the information requested on the following link:

/message/319025 https://communities.intel.com/message/319025

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

mtruchado: I just wanted to check if you saw the information we requested previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
M_2
Beginner

Hi Alberto

Yes, the screen is still not working under Windows 10. I don't have the laptop here, but as soon as I have It already I will fill up the table provided

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

mtruchado: Perfect, no problem, once you get the chance please let us know those details.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

mtruchado: I just wanted to check if you were able to get the laptop and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
M_2
Beginner

I'll try to get the information and come to you shortly

0 Kudos