Items with no label
3335 Discussions

What is the range of distance from the depth camera

idata
Employee

Hi friends,

I want to find out what is the range of distance from the depth camera will the Intel Euclid work best.

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Victor Wu.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Normally, it would be easy to specify a minimum range for a RealSense camera. The Euclid is a bit different though, as it is effectively a RealSense camera inside a mini PC. The Euclid's data sheet document says: "The camera module output type is a depth measurement from the parallel plane of the module and not the absolute range from the module". It is accompanied by the diagram below.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dear MartyG,

Thank you for your reply.

The passage that you mentioned I have also found. My problem is that I want to be able to get a meaningful depth image in the range of 10 to 20 cm from the Intel Euclid. I am just wondering would it be possible at all.

Victor Wu.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The camera in the Euclid is based on the RealSense ZR300 camera (though not exactly the same as the standalone ZR300 Developer Kit USB camera). If the Euclid's ZR300 has a similar depth capture range to the Developer Kit version, then according to the ZR300's data sheet, the minimum depth range would be 0.55 m and the maximum 2.8 m.

Even with the other RealSense camera models such as the SR300 and R200 though, it is difficult to scan at ranges below 20 to 30 cm. Once an object gets too close to the camera lens then the camera can no longer see it properly. It is a bit like putting your hand over a photographic camera's lens. At that range, the camera will not be able to see details, just a general blob.

When normal depth perception methods produce unsatisfactory results, an alternative sensing method that can get better results is to use a type of depth sensing called a Point Cloud. You may still get less than ideal results at that very close-up range, but probably better than you would with conventional depth sensing.

Below is a link to an article on using Librealsense to create a point cloud. Though the article was intended for the R200 camera model, the ZR300 has identical IR components to the R200 and tends to be able to be used with R200 instructions in Librealsense.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-librealsense-and-pcl-to-create-point-cloud-data Use LibRealSense and Point Cloud Library (PCL) to Create Point Cloud Data | Intel® Software

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dear MartyG,

Thank you very much for your detail reply. So it seems that I cannot use the Intel Euclid for my purpose and have to think of other method!

Thank you anyway.

Victor Wu.

0 Kudos