Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Dell Inspiron 7579 with Intel HD 620 Graphics

MRedd1
Beginner

Since the 16th December I have had a flickering blinking problem with my 12 month old laptop and this also affects the external monitor. The Laptop flickers and blinks the external monitor just blinks. It happens to the laptop with or without the external monitor connected. On Wifi and on Ethernet. On both battery and AC Power.

I had the same issue when I got my laptop brand new 12 months ago and somehow fixed it after much trial and error but don't remember what the solution was back then.

This time around the flickering started after I contacted Dell and gave them remote access to check out a hard drive error. They changed some things and organised for a replacement hard drive and got me to write a restore USB. 2 days later whilst still waiting for the new hard drive to arrive I couldn't stand the flickering and did a system restore to the day before Dell had access and the flickering stopped.

Unfortunately when the hard drive arrived the restore USB had the flickering issue in it and it started all over again.

I have tried everything I have found online to fix this issue. All drivers are uptodate, I have tried the latest drivers from Dell and from Intel.

I have updated every driver on my computer and BIOS.

I have purchased new HDMI cable to the external monitor.

It flickers in Task Manager.

I have also done a fresh start install of Windows 10 and reloaded all my programs twice now in the past 3 weeks. A long tedious job.

I am a web administrator and a photographer so this is driving me insane.

It is especially bad in Lightroom but only because I am in that program all the time, the flicker issue happens in other programs as well, especially graphic based ones.

Attaching the Intel Graphics Report.

Any help would be very appreciated. My 12 month warranty on laptop expired a few weeks ago.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Merrillie,

Thank you for contacting Intel Support,

I understand that you are having problems with the laptop since the screen flickers and blinks, I apologize for any inconveniences this may be causing.

Now, regarding this problem I can see that you attached a system summary which allowed me to check some details, one of the things I found is that your graphics controller is not up to date just yet, there is a new driver. Nevertheless, we always recommend to get the drivers from the manufacturer as they have been implemented to work perfectly with the system, our drivers are generic drivers.

Since you have tried with the dell drivers, I would like to give it a try and update to the latest version released by Intel®. Please download and install the following driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27412/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-60-?product=95451

Once this is done, please provide us with the outcome.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
MRedd1
Beginner

I have already tried Intel's latest driver before switching back to Dell's latest one.

I will try it again though when I get home from work tonight.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Merrillie,

Thank you for your response,

I understand that you have already tried the latest driver, however this driver is higher than the one tried previously, just for testing purposes please if possible, give it a try.

Let us know the outcome please.

Also as an extra note, your version of windows is a preview version, not a stable version which could be causing the flickering and also compatibility problems between the driver and that specific build of Windows 10, it is advisable to go back to a stable version of Windows for example the latest one which is the Fall Creators: 1709.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
MRedd1
Beginner

I have changed to the driver you sent and no difference, I also updated the chipset after someone mentioned that and again no difference.

Not sure how to change my version of Windows back when I did the Windows 10 Fresh Start the second time around that was the version that installed.

As far as I know I am not a member of their try the latest versions community and I am pretty sure the last stable version was on the computer before I did the Fresh Start and also had the flickering issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Merrillie,

Upon review of the information and what we have done so far it seems to be a hardware issue in the computer. Best course of action would be to contact the OEM which in this case would be Dell to see if they can assist you to fix any hardware issue that could be there.

If it was not a hardware issue then it would be a software issue. When you re-installed the Operating System, did the system start to flicker right after the installation or after re-adding the software?

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
MRedd1
Beginner

I suspect Creative Cloud might have something to do with it as the blinking and this time crashing started up straight after I loaded Creative Cloud on the 3rd rebuild.

The only other program that had been added was Chrome browser.

I have given up after 3 rebuilds, so many wasted hours and lots of stress and bought a new laptop. A MSI GE62 7RE Apache Pro which is working much better with Lightroom.

I have uninstalled Creative Cloud from the Dell laptop and so far it appears to be stable although it currently has no programs on it just Windows and Chrome.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Merrillie,

If "Creative Cloud" was the issue then if that is the case I would like you to try to re-add the other programs one by one, without the "Creative Cloud".

This way we will be able to know for sure if this is the culprit of all the different flickering problems.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Merrillie,

I am following-up with your case and I see that we have not heard back from you,

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Were you able to solve your issue?

Do not hesitate to reply to this for further help!

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
MRedd1
Beginner

I solved it by buying a new computer, this time an MSI 7RE Apache which is much faster with Lightroom and has no flickering/blinking issues keeping fingers crossed.

I have given the Dell to my husband after removing the Adobe Creative Cloud app and its programs. That seemed to stabilise it.

He only arrived home last night so it hasn't really been tested yet except for an hour or two.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Merrillie,

I understand and I apologize for any inconvenience caused. Is there anything else I can help you with from my side?

Please let us know the outcome with the computer.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
MRedd1
Beginner

There have been no issues with the Dell since I removed the Adobe Creative Cloud App and associated programs. I still suspect it was the app although it is possible it was one of the related files.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Merrillie,

I am following-up with your case and I see that we have not heard back from you,

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Were you able to solve your issue?

Do not hesitate to reply for further help!

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
MRedd1
Beginner

The problem has been resolved by removing Adobe Creative Cloud, not an ideal situation for someone into photography but I bought a new laptop and installed it on that one which has been fine.

The Dell hasn't had any flickering/blinking problems since Creative Cloud was removed and is working fine. Expensive solution to multiple weeks of frustration.

0 Kudos