Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Server with SSD keeps losing Windows

RCame
Beginner

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I'll start here.

I have a server running SBS 2011 that periodically will fail to see the boot drive and require a restore. I've gone into the crashed OS and added the drivers, which allows the server to boot, but other services will not start. The only resolution is to restore the C: drive. This crash can happen on just a reboot. I can't find anything in Windows that is causing an issue, so I'm checking hardware. The server is 4 years old. Here's the config:

R2308GZ4GC chassis and server board, 2 BX80635E52620V2 Xeon cpus, 2 SSDSC2BB240G401 S3500 240GB ssds in a raid 1 configuration, 32GB ECC ram. Bios is up to date and SBS 2011 is fully patched.

Is there a way to test these drives to see if there are any issues?

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi arcam,

Thank you for contacting our support community. We understand your situation regarding the Intel® SSD DC S3500 Series.

In order to better understand your situation, could you please confirm the following details:

*Have you performed a secure erase of the SSDs?

*Are you using the RAID 1 of the Intel® SSD DC S3500 Series as the boot drive?

*Please attach the SMART details of the SSDs, please follow the next steps:

1-Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26387/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox?v=t and download the Intel(R) Toolbox.

2- Once the toolbox is installed, open it and select the SSDs one at the time.

3- Click on "Export". This will generate a .csv file.

4- Attach the files to your response when replying.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
RCame
Beginner

No, I have not done a secure erase because this is on a production server.

Yes, the SSD raid1 array is the boot drive. It's been in operation for 3 years.

The SMART details are attached.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi arcam,

Thanks for the information provided.

It seems that the SMART details are incomplete. Could you please let us know if the SSD is connected directly to the motherboard? Or is the SSD connected to a RAID controller?

If the SSD is connected to a RAID controller, please connect the SSD directly to the motherboard and try to get the SMART details again.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
RCame
Beginner

The drives are connected directly to the main board.

The tool box said that it can not give smart info on raid arrays.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi arcam,

Thanks for the update.

Please try with the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27248/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Tool?product=87278 Intel® SSD Data Center Tool. Please follow the next steps:

1- install the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool win32 or x36 -3.0.9.400 located in the zip file.

2- Open command prompt with admin rights.

3- Acess the ISDCT file by following the next command:

cd c:\ISDCT

4- Once you are in the ISDCT file run the following command:

isdct show -smart -intelssd (index of the SSD or serial number of the SSD)

Note: Please ignore the parenthesis.

After that, you are supposed to get the SMART details of the SSDs.

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi arcam,

We would like to know if you read our previous post. If you have any other questions, we'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
RCame
Beginner

Yes, I received the messages. First, the links your sending don't work. I did manage to find the right version of the tool box, but it will not load. It said it was incompatible with the OS. The OS is Small Business Server 2011 64bit.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi arcam,

Thanks for the information provided. We checked the link and it worked.

Based on the information, it seems that the latest version of the Toolbox is not compatible with your system. Your OS is not validated on our site so we can not confirm compatibility.

We recommend you to try with the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool.

Please go to this link in order to download the tool: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27248/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Tool?product=87278

Please try to follow the steps suggested before and let us know if you are able to get the SMART details or if you are not able to install the tool.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi arcam,

We would like to know if you read our previous post. If you have any other questions, we'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos