Items with no label
3335 Discussions

D415 RGB sensor focus

JLafe
Beginner

Hi,

In my current application I want to show RGB images. The main object of the scene is located at about 25cm from the camera. Unfortunately, the D415 RGB sensor seems to be out of focus at this distance. Is-there any settings on the camera that can be set to enhance the quality of the RGB image during the acquisition?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Julaf2,

Thanks for posting in the RealSense community.

Can you please show me a screenshot of the RGB image that you are obtaining?

In the following link you will find some examples of RGB images with different settings. This can help you with the setting changes you are looking for depending on what you are trying to achieve.

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/wiki/D400-Series-Visual-Presets

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
JLafe
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for your quick follow-up.

Attached is an image of my hand located at 28cm from the camera plan. As you can see, the image is a bit out of focus and my hand was not moving at all.

I've looked at the D400 visual preset and unfortunately, these presets seem to only affect the depth stream not the RGB one, is that correct?

Thanks you in advance for any other idea you might have to help me with this

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jlaf2,

Thanks for your update.

The D415 camera is fixed focus. We have tested the camera to even a closer distance and it still looked good.

Can you please share with me a screenshot of the RGB controls on the RealSense Viewer App while viewing your hand?

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
JLafe
Beginner

Hi,

Since the D415 is at a fixed focus, I'm scared there's not much that can be done. I was just hoping there was a magic way to change it, even if it required to physically play with the lens (after opening the camera).

I'm still attaching you the screenshot as well as an image captured with the sharpness set to 100. But this "sharpness" looks like a post-processing action when we zoom on the image (i.e. by looking at the hair).

Thanks

Julien

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Julaf2,

I have shared your concern and the images with the RealSense engineering team. They have stated the following:

"In general we focus at 50cm which gives us things in focus from roughly 30cm to infinity. Yes we do expect the image to be out of focus closer."

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos