Items with no label
3335 Discussions

D415 REC error - unknown cause

RVC
Beginner

Hi all,

After 2 months of using several D415 (doing just fine), 4 out of 10 started failing. We get a 'Hardware notification: REC Error (...)' in the RealSense viewer. See screenshot.

As you can see:

• USB3.1 is used (and detected! so cable = OK).
  • Resolution is low so there should not be a data overflow.
  • RGB works fine.
  • Depth image gives random stuff.

Extra info:

• Structured light LEDs are flickering as usual.
  • Camera does not feel like it's overheating or anything
  • Above screenshot is 1 camera directly connected to computer via original USB cable!

Setup:

NUC7i5: 16GB RAM + 256GB SSD

11x Intel D415, via 3xUSB 3.0 hubs (4-port), externally powered. Worked fine without data overflow (low res).

What could be the issue? How can get more info in the error?

(Wishful thinking: could updating the firmware to latest version help? Is this calibration-related?)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Could you try lowering the FPS from 30 to 15 please and see if the REC error still occurs.

0 Kudos
RVC
Beginner

Hi MartyG,

thanks for your input! This made no difference -however, apparently updating the firmware to v5.10.3 did help. I hope the issue stays resolved this way.

The strange thing is that we had no problems in the 2 prior months of testing?

Sorry for the big thread with an apparently easy solution. As long as this can help others or the further development it was not worthless though :-)

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You're very welcome! I was asking about the FPS reduction because when there are 'USB REC' type errors, a reduction in resolution or FPS usually fixes it. And you could not go lower in terms of resolution.

If you have problems in the future, especially when using multiple cameras, a user in the past with a multi-cam setup (up to 4 cameras) found that they could run their application for long periods if they used an industrial-grade USB hub.

0 Kudos