Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Optane memory driver kills usb transfer

idata
Employee

so the last couple of days I have tried transferring files from an external usb HDD to my desktop....the speed is ridiculously slow and often fails with a cannot read from source disk error, eventually I disabled the intel optane acceleration and low and behold usb transfer worked perfectly and at full speed...can we expect a fix soon or do we just have an effectively dead optane module in our systems if we want to use usb connected devices?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

No mention of your system/motherboard, operating system, processor, bios level, etc.

Provide some relevant information, and an Intel support engineer will assist you.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Acer predator orion 3000 system, intel B360 motherboard, intel i5 8400 cpu, 8 gb system ram, 16gb intel optane module, all drivers upto date according to intel update manager, latest version from intel site....the simple fact is with the optane driver in accelerated mode usb transfer rates are severly crippled upto the point of failure, disabling the optane acceleration mode usb transfer rates are as expected for usb 2.0/3.0 and no failure to read media. I have trawled the windows 10 boards and found nothing linking their updates to this issue....I find it too coincidental that disabling the optane driver restores usb transfer speed and success rates.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

addendum to latest post this is the version of intel rapid storage technology driver I am using 16.1.5.1030

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi pejole1965,

Thank you for posting in the Intel communities.

Some days ago, there was an issue reported with the Intel® Optane™ Memory Application 16.5.1.1030 that I believe it's the one you are using. I haven't heard about any reports regarding to the issue you are describing, but it might be due to this version too. What you can do is to uninstall your current RST driver and go back to the version 16.0.2.1086, which is the previous one, and see if the issue still happens.

You can download the Intel® Optane™ Memory Application version 16.0.2.1086 from the following site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27682/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration

Before uninstalling the current driver and application, make sure you have de-concatenated/disabled the Intel® Optane™ Memory first. Then, you can uninstall the Intel® Optane™ Memory Application and then re-install this older version.

If the issue is still happening, let us know so we can help you with it.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

idata
Employee

I will try the older driver, but to be honest why is this issue occurring anyway...surely an updated driver should cure any previous issues and provide current support, literally all I did was disable optane driver to recover usb functionality.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi pejole1965,

I understand what you are explaining and indeed it looks weird. I haven't seen similar issues before with the Intel® Optane™ Memory and the USB functionality, that's the reason why I explained you about the issue reported with the Intel® Optane™ Memory Application 16.5.1.1030. We're currently working on a fix for this version of the application and I'm just wondering if your issue could be related to this as well. That's why I suggested you to re-install the previous version. This way we can confirm it or discard it.

Please let me know if the USB transfers work properly once you install the older version.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, after several dire warnings that I cant remove the driver, just the applications....I finally installed the version you suggested (which also overwrote the newer driver), and usb transfer works properly at full speed with no access errors with the optane acceleration enabled. The only thing is I now seem to have 32bit versions of the optane application which is strange but at least things are working as they should.

Before I installed the older driver version I did several test with optane enabled and disabled on two usb HDD's and a 2GB and 60GB usb flash drive, both HDD's and both flash drives failed to copy files across with initial transfer speeds dropping rapidly to 0bps followed by failure to read from media errors while optane was enabled, disabling optane both HDD's and flash drives worked perfectly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

PS. I tried the tests on 6 different usb ports to rule out a port problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi pejole1965,

Thank you for sharing your results and for re-installing the older application version. If I understood you well, everything is working fine with this version, so we can say that the issue was due to the latest driver. I'll inform about this to the proper team so that they can take a look at it. You can continue using this version until the latest one is fixed and available again.

Regarding to the 32bit version mode, it's weird that it appears like that since the only version available is for 64bit mode. However, if it's working fine you should not worry about it.

As I mentioned, I'll forward your results to the proper team and your feedback too. We appreciate all the information our customers can provide to us so that we can improve our products and the user experience.

If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes...downgrading to the version you suggested seems to have solved the usb transfer issues, the driver I assume is 64bit as the os and hardware is all 64bit....its just the applications that are 32bit as shown in task manager. I have tested yet again all usb ports with several devices (HDD's and Flash Drives) all work fine now....so I think that proves it was something to do with the 6.5.1.1030 driver or utilities interfering with the usb system....how is beyond me:)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi pejole1965,

It's great everything is working fine now. Thank you for your confirmation.

If you have further concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread. We'll be more than glad to help you in any way we can.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos