Items with no label
3335 Discussions

DCM SR300 installer keeps failing at firmware step - part 2?

MPryo
Beginner

I have been using the SR300 for over a month now without too many issues. I did have a power management issue that I fixed through Device Manager by turning off the option for the USB controller to be turned off to save power. I shared my steps to fix that issue, and others were able to use those steps to troubleshoot their device.

The company I am working with needs to be able to install the 3.0.24.59748 driver (below, the image is of the 3.2.26.6137 driver because I was hoping to install a newer version of the firmware and then install the old version). I had installed the 3.0.24.59748 driver several times without issues prior to this morning. Now, I am unable to install any firmware changes to the device when I try to run DCM installers. I have tried installers from 3.0.24.59748, 3.1.25.2599, and 3.2.26.6137 without success. The only driver that is able to install, I assume because the firmware it uses is already on the device, is the version pre-packaged in Windows: 3.3.27.5718 installs successfully.

I am having a similar issue to that described in

I have a 6th generation Intel processor - Intel i7-6500U - on the system I am trying to install firmware from.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If your PC meets the official minimum requirements for the SR300 (Skylake processor, Windows 10, USB 3.0) then problems with the camera are fixed instantly the majority of the time by attaching the camera to a mains-powered USB 3.0 hub instead of attaching it directly to a USB 3.0 port on the computer. Given your past power issues with the camera, this seems to be the remedy that has the greatest chance of success in resolving your firmware installation issue.

You can find powered USB hubs for around $15 on stores such as Amazon by searching for 'powered usb 3.0 hub'.

0 Kudos
MPryo
Beginner

Thank you, MartyG. However, I am already using a powered hub for my device and had no issues prior to this morning. Could my firmware be corrupted in some way? Is there any way to reset it? is there any way to install the DCM without installing the firmware?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Intel staffer Jorge once suggested fixing a firmware installation problem by deleting the RSDCM folder and then running the DCM installer again. On my PC, this folder is located in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel

0 Kudos
MPryo
Beginner

Sadly, that did not solve my issue.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If you already have a firmware on the camera, a way to get the latest RGB, Depth and Virtual drivers for the camera is to go into the Device Manager, right-click on each of these drivers and select Uninstall til there are no drivers listed for your camera. Pull the camera out of the USB 3.0 port, wait a couple of seconds and re-insert the camera into the USB port. Windows 10 should then automatically re-download the latest SR300 drivers from the internet instead of having to do it through the DCM installer.

0 Kudos
MPryo
Beginner

That works fine for my testing platform at home, but it does not work if I want to have full testability on the tablet we are using that does not support the latest firmware/driver package.

I am also concerned about future firmware releases. What if a new Windows 10 update causes the drivers attached to this firmware to no longer be supported? What if my SR300 firmware can no longer be updated to newer versions?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

What make and model is your tablet please?

0 Kudos
MPryo
Beginner

Why? I am not having any trouble with the tablet. I am having trouble installing firmware on the SR300 from a device that should fully support the SR300.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I just wanted to check if there were known problems with DCM installation on your tablet model. But if you do not currently have issues with the tablet then that is fine.

There is a procedure for updating the firmware from the command prompt. Details for the F200 camera here

I believe the filename for the SR300 firmware is FWupdateSR300.exe so use that instead of FWupdsteF200.exe

0 Kudos
MPryo
Beginner

I was hoping that would do the trick. No luck yet.

FWUpdateSR300.exe" -oemId:0xcafecafe -force

Intel(R) RealSense(TM) SR300 Firmware Update Tool Version 1.0.0.1

Copyright (C) Intel(R) Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Burn New Version FW Image:

Are you sure you want to burn the new FW image? 'y' or 'n'

y

Signed Image version = 3.10.10.0

DFU_version = 27

DFU_isLocked = 1

FW_highestVersion = 3.21.0.0

FW_lastVersion = 3.21.0.0

FW_SerialNumber = xxxxxxxxxxx1

ERROR DFU_STATUS_ERROR_NOTDONECamera failure

Intel(R) RealSense(TM) SR300 Firmware Update Tool Version 1.0.0.1

Copyright (C) Intel(R) Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Burn New Version FW Image:

Final Result:

Return code: -4

General Camera Failure

IV Camera status: Unknown

Failed!
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Can you check Device Manager and confirm to me you have a Virtual Driver listed for your cam. If not, please do the procedure I mentioned earlier of uninstalling the drivers that are listed (e.g RGB and depth) and pull the cam cable out and put it back in to download all drivers, including the Virtual driver.

0 Kudos
MPryo
Beginner

That will not work. I've turned off the ability of Windows to update my drivers automatically. I think the problem is probably related to the status message I receive with other firmware versions:

I seem to have reached some limit on the number of firmware updates I can install to my SR300. Why a limit exists at all is beyond me.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There was an occurrence of this limit last December. A solution wasn't found at that time.

If your camera firmware is truly "bricked", as they say in such circumstances, then your best remaining option (if it is still under warranty) may be to return it to Intel for a replacement camera.

Whilst looking for the returns details, I came across another post about a firmware issue, which contains the returns address.

The Intel support staffer told this person " Seems like you have a faulty camera, please return the camera to your point of purchase for an exchange or refund. If you bought it from click.intel.com, then you must email mailto:click.support@intel.com click.support@intel.com with the proof of purchase."

0 Kudos
MPryo
Beginner

I saw both of those, as well. You'll note that there was no conclusion to the December question since the full logs were never provided. The other link ended up having a hardware factor to it from the PC being used not seeming to provide the power for the firmware update.

I think I will wait and see what my logs reveal to technical support once they read my question here.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I wish you the very best of luck with your problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Xilnik,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® RealSense Platform.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with the firmware update. Now, analyzing your issue it seems like you have reached the Updated Limits, please refer to the Section 5.1.1 of the SR300 datasheet http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/realsense-sr300-datasheet1-0.pdf http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/realsense-sr30… .

Hope this helps, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos
MPryo
Beginner

That problem likely was due to Windows interfering with my manual installation of the firmware/drivers. For future developers to avoid these issues:

First disable the option to automatically download manufacturer's apps

1. Right click on the Start button.
  2. Choose System from the list.
  3. Choose Advanced system settings from the list on the left.
  4. Click on the Hardware tab.
  5. Click on the Device Installation Settings button.
  6. Choose No (your device might not work as expected).
  7. Click on the Save Changes button.

Note: The above steps do not accomplish what they suggest. The Intel apps still install automatically even after turning that feature off.

Next disable the registry setting for driver searching

1. Open regedit by searching for it through the Start search entry.
  2. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion DriverSearching
  3. Edit the SearchOrderConfig key and change its value to 0 instead of 1.
  4. Restart Windows to let the above changes take effect.

Install the chosen DCM package after doing the preceding steps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Xilnik,

Thanks for sharing this information, it will be really useful for other users.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos
MPryo
Beginner

Always happy to share.

Can we address why a "Developer Kit" has features, e.g. a 20 count limit to firmware downgrade/upgrade, that are counterproductive to a developer's needs?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I can't speak for Intel, but the RealSense camera is not the only device to use a firmware install limit, although it does seem to be very rare. Samsung apparently use firmware daily download limits on some of their devices such as smartphones. Predictably, the customer feedback on this feature was not very complimentary!

Samsung's one was implemented as a limit on the number of times that a firmware update can be downloaded per day from their website before it closes for the day for everyone. Someone speculated that the shut-off after a certain number of downloads is so Samsung can identify an emerging problem on one of their devices without being swamped by download requests.

In the case of the RealSense one, which seems to be decided based on locally stored information, I would imagine that it could be to try to stop hackers remotely installing a cracked firmware that could give the hacker access to the camera as a means of spying or accessing the contents of the PC through the camera connection. That's just my personal thought though

0 Kudos