Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20600 Discussions

Update from 1970?

TKist
Beginner

I have been having many, many issues with a new high-end computer (Dell Precision 7710) since August of 2016. A couple of days ago, on the advice of Dell Support, I did a clean installation of Windows 10, and then proceeded to make sure all updates were installed for all the drivers, etc.

One of the Intel HD Graphics updates failed to install, and when I clicked for details, I got this message:

Note the date... I'm pretty sure that personal computers didn't even exist in January 1970.

(I doubt that Intel is responsible for the issues I'm having - neither Intel nor my NVIDIA software recognize my external monitors, but those are just two minor issues in an epic saga of issues. I'm mostly sharing this because it's so bizarre. If anyone has any clue what this might be about, I'd love to hear it.)

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

This also happens in Steam.

Review this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_time System time - Wikipedia

Also check out: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20170208-00/?p=95395 Why are all Windows drivers dated June 21, 2006? Don't you ever update drivers? – The Old New Thing

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello M00se,

I understand you are having several issues with your Dell Precision 7710 Workstation laptop.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience the issues may be causing to you.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please attach the .xml file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Please also attach the Intel Graphics Driver Report. This link will show you how to generate it http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html

I noticed you mentioned you are having several issues with the laptop, would you please provide a list of issues you are currently having with it?

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello M00se,

I was wondering if you still need assistance with your Dell Precision 7710. If you still need assistance please let me know.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
TKist
Beginner

Fred,

Thank you for the offer of help! I've pretty much given up on getting my system to work correctly at this point, but I would be thrilled to get it working.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1zS_6aeFpVCd0plVzdPTDl1X0k/view?usp=sharing System Support Utility Report.xml - Google Drive

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eNcP1RSDcNBiSoyw3-Ln1htIa2s2L_i52lrvcgMxAAo/edit?usp=sharing Intel Graphics Driver Report.txt - Google Docs

Continued issues include:

• Neither Intel nor NVIDIA recognizes the two external monitors connected through the docking station, although Windows 10 does recognize them.
  • Illustrator CC performs very slowly, with a lag in response time after performing an action, and glitches in the display area (blank white rectangular areas). This lag creates serious problems because I work quickly using keyboard shortcuts, so - if, for example, I click on something and use a keyboard shortcut, the action is often performed on the wrong item in the file, which leads to a lot of errors and duplicate work.
  • When working in Word (2016), the display shows blank white areas, text disappears, and sometimes there are about 30 of the little autocorrect menus visible at once. (I cannot take a screenshot because they disappear too quickly.)
  • When working in Word, sometimes after I perform an action (such as adding a period), nothing happens until I click my mouse button.
  • When I restart, an error flashes onscreen before the computer shuts down. (Happens too quickly for a screenshot, and I haven't taken the time to carefully document it in a few months. I can do it again, but not right this minute, as I am in the middle of writing this post. )
  • I sometimes get really strange errors and messages and – when I Google them – the search results all have to do with Macs. (Again, I haven't taken the time in recent weeks to document these, but I can if there's a reasonable chance it might help.) To be clear, my computer is not a Mac.

FYI, I am a fairly advanced computer user, and I have been working on these issues for months. I have not adjusted any of the default display settings (such as scaling, resolution, etc.). I specifically purchased a computer and monitors with the same resolution (1980 x 1020) to avoid specific display issues related to custom settings.

I have tried many fixes, including (but not limited to):

• Updating, uninstalling and reinstalling, and disabling and re-enabling the Intel and NVIDIA drivers (which were already up-to-date, but I did it anyway).
  • Removing, adding, updating monitors and monitor drivers.
  • Reset the computer to factory settings (twice).
  • Clean installation of Windows (twice) with all of the associated downloaded updates from Dell Support.
  • Updating the BIOS (which was already up to date).
  • Turning switchable graphics on and off in the BIOS.
  • Using Dell Optmizer and not using Dell Optimizer.
  • Running the Dell online diagnostics (several times).
  • Adjusting monitor settings.
  • Changing the monitor input from Auto to HDMI.
  • Resetting monitors to factory settings.
  • Changing display scaling from the default and then changing it back.
  • Different cables and ports (HDMI to HDMI and DisplayPort to HDMI and DVI to HDMI and HDMI to DVI – with cables purchased from Dell). Note that the laptop has only one monitor port, which is HDMI, and I have the Dell-approved docking station, which is an Advanced E-Port Plus (and weirdly has no HDMI ports).

Most recently, Dell sent a technician who replaced the motherboard and the NVIDIA graphics card, and then had me update the driver again. To be fair, this did seem to fix one important issue, which was that my external monitors appeared blurry (not just text and not just in apps – the desktop icons, for example, appeared blurry).

However, the computer continues to have performance issues in both Word and Illustrator, which are two programs I work in quite frequently. (And yes – they are both up-to-date, and I've even run the repair tool on Office, which weirdly uninstalled everything, rather than repairing it.)

I suspect (with no actual evidence) that these issues may be related to the fact that the computer has an SSD and Windows 10 doesn't play well with SSDs. (However, these could also be unrelated, individual issues related to Adobe, Microsoft, Dell, and the alignment of the stars.)

I know I'm forgetting some of the important details here, but perhaps this is enough to skip the simple solutions I've already tried. (My favorite: "What cables are you using?")

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello M00se,

Thanks for all the detailed information you provided to me.

I see you have pretty much covered everything. Since issue happens even after reinstalling the operating system then this might be hardware related problem. I see you mentioned the motherboard and nVidia* GPU were replaced, but there is a chance different component might be causing the issues you are having.

The best option at this point would be contacting Dell* in order to check if they can reproduce the issue in their lab with the exact same laptop model. If they can reproduce the issue in their lab then they should be able to find the root cause of the problem.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
TKist
Beginner

Fred,

I have been working with Dell for several weeks, and have yet another call scheduled for tomorrow.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello M00se,

If you need anything else just let me know.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello M00se,

Were you able to talk to Dell* about the issue?

In case you still need assistance just let me know.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
TKist
Beginner

Yes. Dell is sending a re-imaged hard drive for me to try. I have to install it myself. I haven't received it yet.

Since I posted last, I got the Blue Screen of Death once, with a Video Scheduler error.

The fun continues!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello M00se,

Thanks for the update. I will leave this thread open for a few more days until you can test the replacement hard drive. As soon as you test it let me know if issue persists or not.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
TKist
Beginner
0 Kudos
TKist
Beginner

So, I replaced the SSD. (I actually had to open up my own computer and replace it by following some confusing online instructions.)

There still seems to be an issue with the NVIDIA and Intel control panels not recognizing my external monitors.

Weirdly, if I turn the computer on before I put it on the docking station, then NVIDIA sees two monitors, but the Intel control panel won't even open. (I search for it in Cortana, and it comes up, but clicking on it does nothing, and - if I right-click on it in the start menu, no context menu appears. When I right-click on the desktop, it does not show up.) If I start the computer after it's on the docking station, then both control panels are available, but say there is only one monitor.

Illustrator has also crashed twice, although it's not clear whether this has anything to do with anything. I'm also still getting the occasional black screen that appears for about a second when I do things like open the lid or start a new app.

Despite this, I am able to use both monitors, and they no longer look blurry or pixelated.

At this point, I really can't imagine what's going on. This has gone way past ridiculous.

Dell is going to call again today.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello M00se,

At this point the best option would be to continue troubleshooting with Dell*. In case they cannot fix the issue over the phone ask them if they can try to reproduce the issue in their lab with the exact same computer model. If they can reproduce the issue in their lab then they should be able to find the root cause of the problem.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
TKist
Beginner

They've already reproduced the issue by logging into my computer remotely.

Now they're replacing my entire system. Yay! Months of persistence may pay off yet!

(You can close this discussion if you want - I originally posted mostly for entertainment because the message was funny.)

I appreciate your input! (This is a nice online place. )

Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello M00se,

You are welcome. Do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any other inquiry.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
TKist
Beginner

Hi again!

(I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this. Given my never-ending saga, I thought it might be appropriate.) I'm still struggling (9 months now) with this Dell Precision 7710 and the fact that it doesn't work correctly with my external HD monitors.

There are myriad issues that prevent me from being able to work with the monitors, but the latest development has me curious...

When the laptop is plugged into the docking station, neither the Intel nor the NVIDIA control panels recognize that there are two monitors, even though they both show up in the device manager. (See screenshots.)

Dell is claiming that this is how it's supposed to work on Windows 10. In my months of research and troubleshooting, I've never come across any content that says this is how they are supposed to work.

Does anyone know whether this is true?

Here are the specs:

• Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
  • Dell Precision 7710
  • NVIDIA Quadro m3000m
  • Intel HD Graphics P530
  • Two Dell Monitors S2740L
  • Advanced E-Port Plus Docking Station

Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello M00se,

I am sorry to hear you are still having issues with your computer.

I recommend creating a new thread for this graphics issue you are having in your computer so we can assist you better.

Please attach the Intel® System Support Utility to the new thread https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos