Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

XTU App Pairing glitch/bug

idata
Employee

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has this issue, and if so whether there is a better possible work-around.

In the Intel XTU (Extreme Tuning Utility) app, the App Pairing seems to have a glitch that goes into effect after a reboot on my PC. Everything works fine after initial setup, but following a reboot, App Pairing does not work whatsoever until I manually remove all app-profile pairs and add them back. Disabling them and re-enabling them does not work, nor does turning app pairing off/on. I have tried all different kinds of combinations with windows active, in foreground, etc. The only success I have had is with completely removing all pairs and adding them back one by one.

This is obviously a very tedious work-around, so I'm wondering if anyone else has ran into this by chance? All threads I could find on this topic were dead ends.

Thanks,

Josh

Processor: intel i5 4690K

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H bios F10

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ShowtimeJosh,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

Can you please provide the following information to better assist you?
  • XTU version:
  • Did it use to work without any issues?
  • Was there any software update or change before the issue started happening?
I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Yes, my XTU version is 6.2.0.24. I have not been able to get it to work correctly since attempting to use the feature. There were no changes prior to the issue, but since I noticed the problem, I have reinstalled XTU, updated my BIOS, and installed other programs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ShowtimeJosh,

Thank you for the information.

Have you tried the http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_xtu_100series.zip XTU version from Gigabyte's website?

In addition, can you please provide the name of some apps being used with the XTU pairing feature? This in order to replicate the issue you are having.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Juan Carlos

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was originally using the version from Gigabyte, after having the issue I updated to the latest XTU from the intel site.

Right now, I am only testing it with the Steam Client from Valve Corp. (steam.exe). It has the same problem with all my other game launchers and games, though.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ShowtimeJosh,

I will do some tests to try to replicate this behavior.

Once I complete them I will update this post.

Best Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ShowtimeJosh,

Here is what I tested:

Asus Z170 Deluxe

Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor

Windows® 10 (fresh installation)

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) Version: 6.2.0.24 (Latest) Date: 2/23/2017
  • I set the Windows power plan to high performance, set the CPU clock speed @4.4 GHz, saved the profile.
  • Went to app pairing and added Stream.exe, turned on the app pairing.
  • Opened Steam and CPU clock speed went from 1.3 GHz - 3.5 GHz to 4.4 GHz and stayed at that frequency (it stopped fluctuating).
  • Restarted the system
  • Reopened Intel® XTU
  • Reopened Stream
  • CPU clock speed went again to 4.4 GHz.
During the tests, I was unable to replicate the issue.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I guess if you have no other suggestions I will have to test a fresh install of Windows.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ShowtimeJosh,

Before you reinstall the OS, I would recommend the following:
  • Load the BIOS defaults, save and exit, and then test by making incremental changes. This is because the changes you make in Intel® XTU work directly in the BIOS.
  • Contact Gigabyte and see if they can provide support for this as it could be an issue with the motherboard.
  • Confirm the RAM is compatible with the CPU/Mobo (including frequency).
If none of the steps above work, send me the results from (1) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (without overclocking), (2) Complete system configuration (RAM, PSU, VC, etc.), and (3) DxDiag or http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000022425.html Msinfo32

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ShowtimeJosh,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance.

If so, please don't hesitate in replying to this post.

Regards,

JC
0 Kudos