Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Computer slows down after being on for a while - after recent power flicker

idata
Employee

About a week ago, I had a power flicker which caused my computer to restart. Ever since then, I have noticed that when it has been running for a long time...let's say 5 hours or more, then whenever it loads something new, everything slows down and the sound crackles. I ran an overall benchmark and everything seemed to be fine. I also took the ram sticks out and swapped them incase one of them was burned out. They still worked when swapped. I also re-installed my chipset drivers. I also ran Memtest86 and no errors came up. Again, this is a new issue which only came up after the power flicker. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what the problem could be?

Edit: I just noticed that the processor is working almost twice as hard to do the same tasks after the computer has been on. For example, I opened a web page and the usage spiked to 60-70%. After restarting my computer, I opened the same web page with the same applications running in the background and the usage only went up to about 30%. I even opened up several pages rapidly and it still only went up to 35%. Could this mean that my processor is starting to fail?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello BrenB,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

What is your system model?

You can get your system information a posted here, to get your system information you can use the Intel SSU (System Support Utility) (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility):

Download Intel® System Support Utility
  1. Download the utility
  2. Run the exe and select 'Scan'
  3. Save and include as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's a custom built desktop.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In this case, I suggest you to shut down your system and unplug every component, PSU, remove video card, RAM, keyboard and mouse and also remove the CMOS battery located on your motherboard, if you don't know where this battery is contact you motherboard manufacturer to locate it and ask if you can remove it. Leave only the motherboard and the processor installed and leave it like that for at least 2 or 3 hours and then start plugging everything back on.

Connect the PSU, one ram and start your system, then shut off your system and add the rest of the rams, then plug everything else and see how it goes.

I hope this can help.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It seems as though one of the RAM sticks sustained some damage from the flicker. The issue persists with one of them. I'll order a new set of sticks as well as a UPS to prevent this from happening in the future. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information and I hope with the new set of ram and UPS everything works fine.

Please keep us posted how it goes after the replacements.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos