Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Black screen on any Lenovo Laptop X1 / T460 with Intel Graphics HD 520 occurs with driver version > 21.20.16.4534

DPazo
Beginner

Hello Folks

hope this message finds you well. I've a more and more recurrent issue with the Intel Drivers for HD Graphics 520 on Lenovo laptops X1 (4th gen) and T460s series running Windows 10 X64 Pro.

Both models were delivered with driver Intel 20.19.15.4444 (BETA). This is currently the unique valid driver version working. Any other more recent release cause the main laptop screen to remain black and not usable. The only way to use the laptop is to connect to an external screen.

The main issue here is that Windows Update forces the driver to be updated at least to version 4534, which doesn't work as mention above. I've tried many workarounds to block WU to perform this update, like deactivate the drivers update or hide windows updates with the diag tool, without any success so far. At some stage, the driver is pushed again. I've posted recently on Lenovo forums (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T460s-Intel-display-driver-issue-Windows-10/m-p/3522443# M74001 Solved: Re: T460s Intel display driver issue Windows 10 - Lenovo Community ). It's marked as solved but the issue still occurs and as you can see in that post, we are several having the same problem.

Today, we have 10 laptops having this issue. I've even manage to replace a motherboard of one of them just to be sure at 100% that it wasn't hardware issue.

Intel dev's, can you please be so kind to publish a valid and working driver please? This is just a NIGHTMARE!!!! A laptop is not mean't to be stacked all time to an external monitor.

If by any chance, someone within the community has a valid fix/work around, please let us know! It would be very very verrryyy much appreciate!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello GJCH,

I understand you are getting black screen when the operating system installs newer version of the graphics driver.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

Have you tried installing this graphics driver version? http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-X1-CARBON-TYPE-20A7-20A8/downloads/DS103422 http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-X1-CARBON-TYPE-20A7-20A8/downloads/DS103422

The drivers Lenovo* provides on their website have been tested and validated to work fine in your specific laptop model. If the issue happens even with that Lenovo* driver the issue might be related to different Windows* Update that might be causing the problem.

Let me know if that driver works fine or not.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
DPazo
Beginner

Dear Fred,

thanks a lot for your email.

So far, no we haven't. Windows update and Lenovo System Update try to push for version 4534.

I've currently a computer again with that issue. I'll try this and let you know asap. Honestly, I do wonder if it will be kept as version 4534 is higher and Windows update will push it again through updates.

Keep posted.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello GJCH,

Please do not uninstall the Windows* Update that caused the problem in order to make sure Windows* Update will not reinstall it again. Please run the driver update that Lenovo* provides, restart the computer, and then test the system.

There is a chance that if Windows* Update detects that driver as installed it might not try updating it again.

Let me know if issue persists or not.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
GG4
Beginner

@ Intel Corporation

I tried already.. no success...

FYI the drivers on your site or the lenovo drivers.. Same issue... Black screen. Pluggin to a docking station it work so u can reinstall the old one.. but sometime after that it's self updating again with the problem!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Hot,

Thank you for joining the thread.

In order to assist you better with the specific problem you are having in your computer I recommend creating a new thread. Please make sure you add all of the details of your computer so we can get more information about the problem.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
GG4
Beginner

Hi, exactly the same issue for me on 14 laptop.

I cannot stop Windows re installing this fucking assohle drivers.. .

It's a major impact!

BHump1
Beginner

Same issue here. X1 on Windows 10.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BryanH,

If your computer works fine with an external monitor please try the troubleshooting steps that are mentioned above, and let me know if issue persists or not.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
BHump1
Beginner

Yes, worked ok with external monitor. The driver you linked to from Lenovo did not work. To get it to work for now, I ended up trying 15.40.25.4463 direct from your support site and that did work. I disabled Lenovo companion and set that driver not to update with Windows update. Using the intel driver I have lost some functionality pertaining to adjusting the brightness, etc, but at least the screen is on. This problem needs to be corrected ASAP.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BryanH,

We have latest graphics driver installed on different laptops and desktop systems we have here, and we are not getting black screens. I am not sure if the issue might be related to the combination of hardware and software of that specific computer model. The issue should not happen with the graphics driver Lenovo* provides on their website because they have tested and validated their drivers.

At this point the best option would be contacting Lenovo* in order to check if they can reproduce the issue in their lab with the exact same laptop model. This link will give you their contact information http://support.lenovo.com/uu/en/contactus http://support.lenovo.com/uu/en/contactus

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos