Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Optane 32GB + Toshiba 3T HDD, HDD constant activity, with SSU Scan Information

ELee34
Beginner

I have the same issue with this post:

Optane 32GB + Toshiba 3T HDD, Windows 10 fresh installation a week ago. HDD turns out a "constant activity" pattern after idle time of 10 minutes(windows power setting) with HDD LED light on and HDD head seems always busy searching something but fails to, making a continuous cracking sound. When I have any operation on the HDD, like open up a folder, the unusual activity pattern stops. After another 10 minutes the same pattern repeats again. When I disable Optane acceleration, this pattern never starts. Chinese simplified version of Windows 10 Education version. Is there a possible issue with RST power configuration on specific motherboards? Looking forward to your reply. SSU scan result system.txt attached.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Eric_CH,

Thank you for contacting our support community.

We understand your concern regarding the Intel® Optane™ Memory. In order to better assist you, could you please confirm the following information:

*Are you experiencing any performance issues in his system?

*Are you determining that the Optane(TM) memory is accessing the HDD? Are you determining this just by the LED or do you get any error or report from the system?

*have you tried with a different HDD?

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
ELee34
Beginner

Hi, thanks for your reply.It seems that we have got into the same issue with HDD "constant activity".

*From my system performance, there is nothing wrong with HDD reading or writing. The only problem I infer is that when it comes to the time for HDD to power down after being idle for 10 minutes( as the HDD power saving setting in Windows) , the HDD wil be "constantly busy" with the R/W head cracking noise and the HDD LED on. When there is any operation on the HDD (and the idle mode is over), such as opening a folder or saving a file, that "busy" mode and cracking HDD head noise will stop at once. Therefore I don't think Optane is accessing the HDD, but Optane driver or application may prevent the HDD from entering power down idle mode. No other error report from the system.

*As for trying another HDD, I don't know if I have another mechanic HDD in GPT format. I will report later.

Regars,

Eric

0 Kudos
ELee34
Beginner

Hi, thanks for your reply.It seems that we have got into the same issue with HDD "constant activity".

*From my system performance, there is nothing wrong with HDD reading or writing. The only problem I infer is that when it comes to the time for HDD to power down after being idle for 10 minutes( as the HDD power saving setting in Windows) , the HDD wil be "constantly busy" with the R/W head cracking noise and the HDD LED on. When there is any operation on the HDD (and the idle mode is over), such as opening a folder or saving a file, that "busy" mode and cracking HDD head noise will stop at once. Therefore I don't think Optane is accessing the HDD, but Optane driver or application may prevent the HDD from entering power down idle mode. No other error report from the system.

*As for trying another HDD, I don't know if I have another mechanic HDD in GPT format. I will report later.

Regars,

Eric

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Eric_CH,

Thank you for the reply.

Based on the information provided. We recommend you to contact your https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html local support team for further assistance.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos