Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Help with Intel Graphics 5500

WSand
Beginner

I have recently thought what would happen if I disable my Intel 5500 Graphics. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5588 laptop and it has 5500 Graphics (integrated graphics) and Geforce 920M Graphics (dedicated graphics). Will it switch to the 920M if I disable my 5500 Graphics? (For your information I DON'T have a Nvidia graphics control panel). Another question is "Is there a way to switch from Intel 5500 to 920M?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel Communities Team, GamingisFun!. I will do my best to assist you further.

In order to change the graphics controller, you need to access the NVIDIA* control panel. If you do not have it, it might be that the NVIDIA* graphics drivers are not installed on your system. You can download the drivers using this link: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-15-5558-laptop/drivers http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-15-5558-laptop/drivers

Filter the search using your current OS and then look for the nVidia GeForce /GTX /Quadro graphic driver and install it.

Once you install the drivers please follow these steps to change the controller:

1. Right-click on the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.

2. Click Manage 3D settings in Select a Task.

3. Select your desired software from the Select a program to customize drop-down list on the Program settings tab.

4. Select the Intel® HD Graphics controller from the Select the preferred graphics processor for this program drop-down list.

5. Click Apply.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
WSand
Beginner

Can I switch back to Intel Graphics 5500, if I am on the 920M?

0 Kudos
WSand
Beginner

And when I tried to install it it says graphics driver could not find compatible graphics harware

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for your reply, GamingisFun!.

Let me share with you that there should not be any problem going back to the Intel® HD Graphics controller after switching to the Nvidia* controller. Then, if you are not able to install the drivers provided by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), I recommend you, in this case, to contact http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19 DELL* Support so they can guide you through the drivers installation and switch the graphics controller.

Please understand that we did not design this system and DELL* uses our controller as their convenience. In these cases, we are not aware of the design or limitations set by them.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
WSand
Beginner

Apparently I contacted them and said I don't have a Nvidia graphics card, so I am wondering on what would happen if I disable the Intel HD 5500 Graphics. Also I have the latest version of the Intel 5500 Graphics card which is not from your website. I got it from settings > update. I don't know if that's the latest version.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for sharing that information, GamingisFun!.

In that case, if you disable the Intel® HD Graphics controller on your system, most likely your screen will go black and you should not be able to revert that.

Regarding the graphics drivers inquiry you have: you can either have the latest graphics drivers from your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) or the ones from the Intel® website. The difference between those is that the drivers provided by your OEM have been modified and optimized from your system and, the drivers from Intel® are generic drivers, as a result, some features might not be available for your system and the results may vary. We always recommend using the drivers provided by your system manufacturer.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, GamingisFun!.

I would like to know if you have any additional question. If so, do not hesitate to reply to this thread.

Antony S.
0 Kudos