Items with no label
3335 Discussions

the bottom of the SR300 for 3D scanning

群杨
Beginner

How can I have a bottom every time when using the SR300 for 3D scanning?Is it related to the height and angle between the device and the scan?

When holding the SR300 and scanning around the object for one revolution, the model generally has a bottom. However, fixing the SR300 and scanning around the object for one revolution, there is no bottom when the SR300 is high,and there is a bottom when the SR300 is very low.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I think you mean that the bottom of what you are scanning is left out of the image when you have the camera close to the object and held up high? This would be due to the camera's 'field of view'. This determines how much detail the camera can see. It is like the view on a photography camera, which changes as the camera is moved around and determines what is captured in the image.

The options for getting more of the object you are scanning in the picture include:

1. Use a setting called IVCAMFilterOption to increase the SR300's depth range from the default 1.5m maximum so that you can move the camera further away.

https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/v2016r3/documentation/html/index.html?ivcamfilteroption_device_pxccapture.html Intel® RealSense™ SDK 2016 R3 Documentation

2. Obtain a second SR300 to attach to your fixed point and arrange them in a vertical stack so that the two cameras create a wider field of view. It is awkward to get the positioning correct though so that the beams of the two cameras do not inteffere with each other.

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/issues/398 Merging two SR300 to increase the field of view · Issue # 398 · IntelRealSense/librealsense · GitHub

If you can no longer obtain an official SR300 camera, alternative SR300 cameras made by other manufacturers are the Creative BlasterX Senz3D (virtually identical to SR300, as Creative produced the official SR300 for Intel) or the Razer Stargazer.

群杨
Beginner

Thanks a lot for your reply!

1.I scanned the feet on a horizontal circular table . My purpose is to scan the feet and not include the table.And the fact is that the scan really only has two feet. In rare cases, the circular table will produce a little noise, but it can be ignored.

2.My question is how to get the bottom of the feet.Sometimes the bottom is automatically filled(very smooth,like cut), like the right foot in the picture below.Sometimes the bottom is scanned,like the left foot in the picture below.The model in the picture is scanned by handing SR300. When the camera is fixed , the bottom disappears. I wonder if the length,height,angel of the SR300 are not suitable when it is fixed.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

It looks as though the problem may be that the partially scanned foot's tip is moving out of the bottom corner of the camera's view, and so it would probably be captured if the feet were moved closer together.

0 Kudos
群杨
Beginner

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Thank you for your suggestion. I will have a try.

What I suspect is that the bottom is related to the height and angle of the camera.

0 Kudos