Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Intel RST - no Accelerate option

steam2
New Contributor I

I did have acceleration running, but then my SSD got errors. I put in a new SSD and now I don't have the Accelerate option.

The old SSD was a 120GB and my new SSD is a 256GB. Not sure if this matters.

The partition shows as 100% unallocated.

My D: drive is RAID1 with two 4TB HDDs.

I am running the latest RST 16.0.2.1086

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, OvalPiston. Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel Communities Team. I will be more than glad to assist you.

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the http://https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- System Support Utility will generate. Additionally, please provide me with an Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Report. Here are the steps in order to generate it:

1. Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology).

2. Click the Help icon.

3. Click the System Report icon.

4. Click Save.

To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box

Antony S.
0 Kudos
steam2
New Contributor I

Attached

0 Kudos
steam2
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information provided, OvalPiston.

Allow me to inform you that Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 16.0 does not support Smart Response*. Please try installing the 15.7 version to have this feature: http://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/intel_rst_X299.zip http://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/intel_rst_X299.zip

Uninstall the 16.0 version, restart your system and then install the 15.7 version.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
steam2
New Contributor I

Why did Intel remove Smart Response from 16.0?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Why, they think it will sell more Optane modules, of course!

Why would I ever give up my M.2 connector to accelerate the performance of a far, far slower HDD when I can use it for a super-fast NVMe SSD?

I just don't see the attraction...

...S

0 Kudos
SZarz
Beginner

Unlikely. Optane cannot accelerate RAID volumes. Just a single, sytem carrying HDD. It's useless then when one has a system installed on RAID or wants to acclerate RAID. And RAIDs a so slow that the need acceleration.

So I have an OPTANE.... in a box. Uninstalled.
0 Kudos
SZarz
Beginner

I've followed this link. It installs 16.0.2.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Promyclon,

Thank you for your response.

I am glad to hear that you were able to install this version of Intel® RST. I would like to add that this version was validated for this motherboard X299 SLI PLUS (MS-7A93); This link was taken from this motherboard manufacturer's support website.

If you need assistance installing a version of Intel® RST for your hardware and operating system to enable Intel® Smart Response Technology, please attach the following reports:

-Intel® System Support Utility.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

- Intel® RST report.

1.Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology).

2.Click the Help icon.

3.Click the System Report icon.

4.Click Save.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

If your question is about Intel® Optane™ Memory, please submit another question in our Community. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
SZarz
Beginner

Hello @Wanner,

Thank you for response.

I was lucky and found RST v 15.7 in the CD I got with my motherboard (MSI X299 RAIDER) so I downgraded it and could make my RAID quick again.

I don't have questions about OPTANE. I know enough to say it's useless for me. Currently I have the system on quick-as-hell Samsung's SSD (so OPTANE won't be able to accelerate it) and want to keep data on RAID 5 which is managed by RST. This RAID is really slow, slower than its HDDs alone and really needs acceleration for which I use another 60GB SSD. I don't understand why has Intel removed support for accelerating RAID with SSD which is really must-have feature.

Or maybe there is something the Intel introduced instead of SSD acceleration of RAID by RST?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I consider it likely that some greedy so-and-so's at Intel ordered the removal of support for Intel SRT so that they would sell more Optane modules. They should have expanded Intel SRT support so that any NVMe SSD - or, even better, a portion of any NVMe SSD - could be used as a high-speed cache. This wouldn't have sold any additional silicon, however, so no surprise that they killed it.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos