Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

2560x1440 on Intel HD 4600 via DVI-D Dual-Link (Bad Windows drivers from Intel)

QPi
Beginner

My monitor supports 2560x1440 and it's connected to Intel HD 4600 via DVI-D Dual-Link cable but not working at this resolution on Windows, but works on GNU/Linux. So, it's obviously a software problem.

This works on GNU/Linux (Ubuntu) great at the 2560x1440 @ 60Hz but on Windows 7 with all updates (tried both with and without Intel newest drivers from intel site) it works ONLY in 1920x1080 and it DOES NOT work at 2560x1440 at all.

The same cable, the same monitor, the difference is OS and apparently Intel drivers.

HD 4600 was selected by me for buying (as a part of CPU obviously) because it was advertised to support 2560x1440, so keep your promises.

So, the conditions for you to reproduce if you need:

1. Windows 7 up to date.
  2. 2560x1440 monitor
  3. DVI-D Dual-Link connection

Works as expected on GNU/Linux (2560x1440) and doesn't work on Windows with your drivers (1920x1080 max).

If you want to get any service logs or dumps, please take them here (the user KAPACbwork provided a lot of information already):

/thread/118531 https://communities.intel.com/thread/118531

It's an ticket about the same issue, which was not solved (but it was set as "Assumed Answered" probably after the guy with the issue lost any hope to get it fixed).

0 Kudos
23 Replies
idata
Employee

QueNuu: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Graphics communities. We will do our best to assist you with this matter.

In regard to your inquiry, just to let you know, Intel supports graphics configurations when using a DVI-D single link cable, and if you use that kind of cable the max resolution will be full HD, which is 1920x1200 @ 60 Hz, as you can see on page 36:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/4th-gen-core-family-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/4th-gen-core-family-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.html

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
QPi
Beginner

Thank you for this information, but it's obviously not my case.

1) I explicitly said I use DVI-D Dual-Link cable, not a Single-Link cable.

2) GNU/Linux boots and works fine at 2560x1440 on the same exact hardware including cables.

3) I connect only 1 monitor, so this page 36 is not about it (it's about multiple monitors being connected at once).

So, the issue is still in Intel's drivers for Windows 7 (and probably Windows 10).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

QueNuu: Thank you very much for providing those details.

Yes, the support provided by Intel is for computers using a platform with DVI-D single link cable, that cable has a standard that states that it will support up to 1920x1200 @ 60 Hz as max resolution.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
QPi
Beginner

What "Yes"? I told you 3 times, I use DUAL LINK, what's wrong with you? And I use only 1 monitor.

The document you linked doesn't say a word about Single or Dual link at all, nor it says about single monitor limitation of resolution for DVD-D Dual link.

ARE YOU SAYING that Intel HD 4600 should not output 2560x1440 on DVD-D Dual Link cable on Windows at all?

Why is it working as expected on GNU/Linux in 2560x1440 and not on Windows?

So, please re-read my original problem description and make a ticket for intel developers to fix their drivers that work worse than open drivers under GNU/Linux.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

QueNuu: Let me apologize for any inconvenience. What we are trying to say is that we do not support DVI-D dual link configurations, it is not supported by Intel. We cannot confirm if it should output 2560x1440 or not.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
QPi
Beginner
Let me apologize for any inconvenience. What we are trying to say is that we do not support DVI-D dual link configurations, it is not supported by Intel. We cannot confirm if it should output 2560x1440 or not.

But you advertised it as a card that supports both DVI-D and 2560x1440.

And it does support on GNU/Linux, so it's a problem of bad Intel Windows drivers only, not a hardware itself.

Can you give the link to specification that states Intel HD 4600 does not support via DVI-D Dual Link?

And if you can't give a link than just fix the driver issue already.

Because the document you gave doesn't state that at all. The page 36 you pointed to is about, I QUOTE:

"Three Display Configurations" under "Multiple Display Configurations" section. I understand that several monitors could limit the output for performance reasons, but it's not my case, I use only one.

So you advertised it to work, than sold this to us and now you say you lied.

Good reason for class action court. There are a lot of people with the same issue and you ignore them too, except come-offs that it shouldn't work under Windows, like here:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/44135 https://communities.intel.com/thread/44135

Or here:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/118531 https://communities.intel.com/thread/118531

And other HD-graphic users all over the world.

Maybe you should MAKE THE TICKET and update your drivers to make it work as advertised and as expected? Because this resolution works on other operation systems, so it's your poor driver's problem only.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

QueNuu: Thank you for providing those details, we completely understand your comments and I will confirm this information and provide further details on this matter.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
QPi
Beginner

intel_corp Maybe I got you wrong - I've waited for several days and expect you to provide me and other buyers "further details on this matter", is it right?

Or you just ignored my question about proof-link to specs and went away?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

QueNuu: After doing further research, I just wanted to let you know that the HD Graphics 4600 controller supports high resolution video modes. Our Windows drivers do not support DVI Dual-link rates, only single-link rate. We recommend using DP or HDMI.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
QPi
Beginner

Alberto R:

After doing further research, I just wanted to let you know that the HD Graphics 4600 controller supports high resolution video modes. Our Windows drivers do not support DVI Dual-link rates, only single-link rate. We recommend using DP or HDMI.

I'm glad we both settled, that the hardware must support this resolution and connector (as it was advertise by Intel) and the only problem is the poor Intel's Windows driver, as I told at the very beginning of the discussion. Unfortunately I have only 2 DVI ports available on my monitor, so DP or HDMI are not an option.

So, when will you publish the working version of Windows driver that supports DVI with 2560x1440 as advertised by Intel, like on GNU/Linux? Have you created a ticket so developers would start to fix this bug?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

QueNuu: Thank you for providing that information.

In regard to your inquiry, we will try to gather the information you are requesting, as soon as I get any updates I will post them on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
QPi
Beginner

intel_corp

In regard to your inquiry, we will try to gather the information you are requesting, as soon as I get any updates I will post them on this thread.

Thank you, I'm looking forward to it, I hope you will solve this issue and make your drivers better as it's in everyone's best interest.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

QueNuu: You are very welcome. Thank you very much for your comments. Could you please provide a link where you can point us to an advertisement that says that we support this resolution through DVI? We are interested in correcting it, the hardware indeed supports this resolution but only via HDMI and DP.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
QPi
Beginner

It was generally advertise to support 2560x1440, I don't want to search for 5 years old ads.

And the specification DOES NOT negate it, not a word, re-read specification by yourself. So, it must support or the specs are incorrect and Intel made fraud.

When will the Intel's Windows Driver for HD 4600 be fixed to work with 2560x1440 via DVI (like it already works on GNU/Linux)?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

QueNuu: Thank you very much for sharing those details. We will do further research on this matter and then I will post all the information on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello QueNuu

I would like to step in and confirm the information that has been provided so far.

The Intel HD Graphics 4600 controller supports the 2560x1440 resolution, but in a Windows* environment this is possible only via DisplayPort (DP) and HDMI outputs, as the graphics drivers we provide support DVI Single-link rates only.

If your laptop is equipped with DP or HDMI connectors, then perhaps using an HDMI-to-DVI (dual-link) or DP-to-DVI (dual-link) adapter would be the best recommendation.

I can also confirm that Intel is not going to be updating the drivers to support DVI dual-link rates, as we are moving along with the industry in favor of the more capable DP and HDMI standards.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
QPi
Beginner

Thanks for this walk-around with converters. They must be including some complicated electronics inside, because they are not cheap for some reason.

How can I get a partial refund for CPU with HD4600, because I bought it as one with an integrated card supporting 2560x1440?

Maybe as a price of this DP-to-DVI (dual-link) that I have to buy because I was mislead by Intel?

Or can you give the link to the specs where it's said that 2560x1440 is not supported for single monitor using DVI Dual Link by Intel HD 4600?

Because otherwise it's impossible for one (including me) to know about that issue for sure before buying Intel CPU, especially when in works in GNU/Linux.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi again,

Our documentation states the potential maximum capabilities or features that are supported. We do not disclose one by one the unsupported features or capabilities.

The Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 supports:

1. HDMI/eDP/DP/VGA/DVI connections.

2. Resolutions up to 3840x2160@60hz depending on connector type.

For higher resolutions please consider using connections with the best industry leading performance, such as DP or HDMI.

You can talk with your laptop manufacturer to verify if a refund/return is possible, or in the case of an Intel retailed boxed processor, please check this link forhttps://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005494/processors.html details on our 3-year warranty policy.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
QPi
Beginner

Our documentation states the potential maximum capabilities or features that are supported. We do not disclose one by one the unsupported features or capabilities.

So, you have a poor documentation (so called specification). It should have this information, otherwise it's not specification at all.

And your so called "documentation" has nothing about Single/Dual-Link at all, very poor.

My question was not answered as I hoped, nor the problem was solved.

The "answer" was - WE WILL NOT DO ANYTHING, YES OUR DRIVERS SUCK AND DON'T WORK CORRECTLY IN THIS SITUATION, BUT WE WON'T FIX THEM.

I bought the Intel HD 4600 card as one that supports 2560x1440 resolution and it does on GNU/Linux, but not Windows. No one from Intel support could provide a link that would say Intel HD 4600 doesn't support it via DVI-D Dual-Link, so I conclude Intel tricked me with ads. The actual reason of this issue is shitty INTEL driver for windows, people who make this drivers should be ashamed, because on GNU/Linux it works fine.

If there is no documentation/specification that would say THIS CARD DOES NOT SUPPORT DVI-D Dual-Link, then HOW COULD BUYER KNOW ABOUT IT?

0 Kudos
QPi
Beginner

The Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 supports:

1. HDMI/eDP/DP/VGA/DVI connections.

2. Resolutions up to 3840x2160@60hz depending on connector type.

Can you give a LINK to this specification, because it's not from specs:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/4th-gen-core-family-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.html Desktop 4th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors Datasheet, Vol. 1

This link was provided by your support.

So, where did you take this information from? Link?

0 Kudos