Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

S2600CP2J - 4 RAM slots suddenly not working

AR12
Novice

I am having an issue with my server's RAM. Out of seemingly nowhere 4 of the RAM slots are not working, slots E1, E2, F1, and F2. The error codes given in BIOS are the following, all of which just say "DIMM_xx disabled" or "DIMM_xx failed test/initialization" http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s2600cp/sb/g26942005_s2600cp_p4000cp_tps_rev18.pdf the manual: 854C, 852C, 854D, 852D, 854F, 852F, 8550, 8530

Out of the 16 slots of RAM, these 4 slots associated with CPU 2 are not working. The other 4 slots associated with CPU 2 are filled with the same kind of RAM and are working fine.

I have taken all of the sticks out and tried various combinations of them. I tried populating the 2 slots furthest from the sockets with the 2 alternate sets of the 4 sticks to see if one or the other was the problem. I tried cleaning the sockets and sticks as well.

What could be wrong and is there any way I can fix it?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ajthemacboy,

Regarding your concern, "Four memory DIMMs not working".

Could you please help me get a better picture.

Let's start with the Hardware configuration:
  • CPU 1 –
  • CPU 2 –
  • Type of memory(Model) –
  • PCI cards –
  • BIOS Version on the board –

Troubleshooting done.

Thank you for your help.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
AR12
Novice

Hi Henry, here you go:

CPU 1: E5-2670 v1

CPU 2: E5-2670 v1

Memory model: M393B1K70DH0-CK0 - it's 8GB 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC and I have 16 sticks installed

PCI cards: none

BIOS version:

BIOS ID : SE5C600.86B.02.06.0005.080320162159

BMC FW Rev : 01.27.9958

Boot FW Rev : 01.17

SDR Package Version : SDR Package 1.11

Thank you!

idata
Employee

Hello ajthemacboy,

Thank you for the update information and my apologize on the delay. There is a https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26957/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI?product=66133 BIOS Update for this motherboard. Please update the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26957/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI?product=66133 BIOS and I will also recommend to test two dims at a time and then 2 pair for each processor.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ajthemacboy,

Just wanted to follow up if there is anything else I can help with.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
AR12
Novice

Hi Henry, I tried testing individual DIMMs as suggested and that didn't work, and I updated the BIOS. In the end I ordered a new motherboard and it is working fine now. Thanks!

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Thought i would look here, i notice this ram you had was 1.5v, Kingston (we will ONLY use there ram), only recommend 1.35volts, also it appears there is a bias for both RDIMM and LRDIMM (both should be 1.35volt).

There may have been an over current pull somewhere, meaning all the ram i bet tested ok when used individually for testing but failed when all installed.

However i see you replaced the board, but thought i would post the above as ive been caught on things like this before.

idata
Employee

Hello ajthemacboy,

I am glad the motherboard replacement worked. If you don't might I will proceed with closing the forum.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos