Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

Are there gonna be any Spectre patch BIOS update for 4th gen CPU?

LHand
Beginner

Are there gonna be any Spectre patch BIOS update for 4th gen CPU? I have i7 4790k and ASUS Z97 Maximus Vii Hero motherboard.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello

Thank you for contacting Intel Support,

I understand that you want information about a BIOS update for 4th Generation processors in regards the "Spectre" situation.

In regards this, Along with other companies whose platforms are impacted, Intel has worked with operating system vendors, equipment manufacturers, and other ecosystem partners to develop software and firmware updates that can protect computers from these methods. It is important to apply mentioned updates as soon as they are available.

For details on how to protect your system please refer to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/facts-about-side-channel-analysis-and-intel-products.html this site for more information

This is all the information he handle at the moment, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Translation: Intel has released microcode updates to OS vendors, board manufacturers, etc. It is up to them to deliver updates that incorporate these microcode updates. Bottom line, you need to ask (in your case) Asus regarding when they will release a BIOS update for this board that incorporates the updated microcode.

...S

0 Kudos