Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Connectivity Issues Intel 8260

JPawl
Beginner

I'm having some connectivity issues with my Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 both at home and at college. At home, I can get a pretty good connection when I am close to my router (867 Mbps); however, the connection becomes pretty weak when I am not in close range. At school, I find my computer maintains a really weak connection and takes forever to load web pages compared to other students in my class. If we have assignments I end up not being able to load web pages fast enough to get anything done unless I am in the part of my school with a really strong connection.

I followed the steps I read online to configure the 8260. What I'm referring to are the settings you see when you go to device manager, properties, then advanced properties. I used the system support utility and hope someone can tell me what settings I should changed based on the results.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello dustsaw,

As you may know, connectivy issues are caused by different reasons. Checking your description of the issue and the log you sent, here are some items for your consideration:

- The SSU log shows the driver is up to date and the settings are the ones you would use to connect to ac networks, however, the signal strengh is very low, and the negotiated data rate is below the standard for 802.11ac:

Radio Type 802.11ac

Signal Strength 40%

Receive Rate 87.8 Mbps

Transmit Rate 87.8 Mbps

Considering this, here are some initial recommendations:

1. Contact the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support and make sure your PC is using their recommended BIOS version, and any applicable system updates from their end.

2. Go to the Power options of your laptop, in the Advanced Settings for your Power Plan, and make sure that the Wireless Adapter is set to work at "Maximum Performance" when plugged in and on battery.

2. If the issue persists at this point, it may be an indication of a physical problem in the computer. You might want to check with the OEM support or an authorized service provider and make sure that the wireless antennas are properly connected to the adapter, and discard any hardware issues in the system.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JPawl
Beginner

I attached the new results after following your instructions. I performed a BIOS update. I'll contact Lenovo support by the way because I already have an on-site warranty ticket.

I also wanted to ask whether or not I should have HT or VHT. I have the VHT setting enabled.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dustsaw,

The connection rate and signal strength are better than they were in the previous log, however, they are still low:

Signal Strength 80%

Receive Rate 585 Mbps

Transmit Rate 585 Mbps

If this is still happening after our recommendations and the PC at a reasonable distance from the access point, then we advise you to check with the OEM. Based on other cases we have seen, this may be due to loose / faulty antennas, or it could also be a hardware issue in the adapter.

About the HT value, you should have VHT enabled as it enables connectivity to 802.11ac and allows backwards compatibility with previous standards:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005585.html Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos