Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530 in i5-6600k can it fail?

idata
Employee

Hi I'm new to the forums

Q) can a i5-6600K CPU partially work, the HD Graphics 530 part fail and the rest work OK ?. As Asus customer care are trying to claim its Intel fault and I should replace the CPU but i think its the motherboard.

I have posted this question in /community/tech/processors Processors with more info " " but did not know where to post so asked here as well please forgive me if this is wrong

Thanks to you all

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello PeterBrough,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

In this case, the best way to know if there is actually an issue with the processor is to test your system with a similar processor or a processor compatible with your motherboard, that's basically the best option to find out if the processor is the culprit or to try the processor in another system.

Please let me know if you can do that.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your response Ivan.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to another compatible CPU or motherboard

Kind regards

Peter

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Being that the case, if you can access Windows with a video card, try to stress test your CPU, You can use a utility like http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/ Prime95 also you can run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to stress test the processor.

Not every hardware problem is easy to diagnose. If you have a bad motherboard or processor, their problems may only manifest through occasional odd issues with other components. It's hard to tell if these components are causing problems unless you replace them completely.

This isn't easy for people who don't have boxes of components sitting around, but it's the ideal way to troubleshoot. Troubleshooting is all about trial and error, and swapping components out allows you to pin down which component is actually causing the problem through a process of elimination.

I'm sorry if this is not much of a help, but unfortunately the best way to determine whether a component is faulty is to swap it out.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ivan

Intel have agreed to replace the CPU under Warranty, It was picked up today, when i get the replacement back, i will then know if it was the CPU or motherboard that was at fault.

And I will post the answer.

As a bit of insight I ran the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. I would like to point out what was displaying in its CP1 test window as it ran, as it goes to the heart of the problem :-

--- Intel Graphics Device ---

Version 1.0.12.64b.W

matched gen6 model0x5E

Model in hex 0x5e..

..Query 2..

--- Querying for IntelR Integrated Graphics Device IGD ---

..Did not detect IntelR Integrated Graphics Device IGD.

..This could be that the test platform is using a discrete graphics card.

..To test IGD verify that there is an onboard video connector

..shutdown the test platform remove the graphics card and

..move video cable from graphics card to onboard video connector

..Skipping IntelR Integrated Graphics Device Presence Test..

CPU1

IGD Module Test

Module Version: 1.0.12.64b.W

Start Time: Thu Apr 6 13:16:28 2017

Test Result: Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Device Not Detected, Test Skipped

End Time: Thu Apr 6 13:16:28 2017

Total Time: seconds: 0

When the "discrete graphics card" is removed the PC won't Boot or go to BIOS and no signal is going to the monitor. When I install a spare old graphic card (AMD Radeon HD 6670) the computer fully works, but cannot see or use the Intel® HD Graphics 530, when I go to BIOS ( with old graphic card installed) to enable/disable the IGPU the option is greyed out / NA., Asus help line has told me this is because it can't see an internal Graphics device and therefore it cant be enabled. Asus suggest it's the CPU at fault, hence the Warranty replacement.

Thanks for your help

Peter

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information and I hope once you receive the replacement you system can work as it should.

I will appreciate if you keep us updated about the result.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ivan

Today was the day I got my under warranty replacement CPU delivered from Intel via "DHL express service" all at no cost to myself, it was a bit delayed due to Easter bank holiday, my CPU was picked up from my home address and returned to Intel following day, Intel started the return to me following day, overall I must say a very good service, now I know why it pays to buy a boxed CPU and not OEM.

So to testing it.

I removed the old graphic card (AND Radeon HD 6670) put the replacement CPU into my computer crossed my finger and turned on the power and pressed the start button, it booted up without further problems. After going through the BIOS settings just to make checking all was well, it could read Intel® HD Graphics 530 that's on the CPU.

I did a burn in test using the "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64bit" a run taking 2 Hrs and it Passed all tests.

I now know the answer to "what's at fault the "Asus" Motherboard or the "Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor" .it was the "Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor"

Thanks to everyone for the support and Help

Regards

Peter

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are more than welcome and I'm glad that your system is up and running as it should and also I hope you can have a better experience from now on.

Best wishes,

Ivan.

0 Kudos