Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

RST application "Create" is blank/zero-size and nonfunctional

AYuan2
Beginner

I have been trying to move my data from a RAID 1 (two 4TB HDD) to a RAID 5 (four 8TB HDD).

So far, I have rebuilt my RAID 1 to one of the new drives, then deleted the old RAID volume. Then I moved and resized my old partitions and turned off the pagefile that was there.

Now I have one new drive with my data, and 3 connected large drives to be overwritten. I also have an M.4 SSD for the OS, and a secondary SSD. There currently are no RAID Volumes active, and neither of my old RAID drives are connected. My SystemReport.txt is attached.

I believe my next step should be to create the RAID 5 with the operating system running, making sure I set the option to preserve data from the disk with my data. Then I should resize the partition again to utilize the new space.

However, when I click "Create" or "Create a custom volume", it appears at first that nothing happens. The "Create Volume..." window is actually open and gets focus, but is invisible with size 0. If I resize it (i.e. by using Alt-Space to bring up the window menu), you can see the contents of the window, as attached. It appears to be essentially non-functional.

I have tried a repair install of the application.

How do I fix or work around this error so I can create my RAID 5?

---

I happen to have Visual Studio - if I run the program with debugging, I can see the following errors when I click the Create button (though they could just be incidental due to the UI bugging out):

System.Windows.Data Error: 23 : Cannot convert '' from type '' to type 'System.Windows.GridLength' for 'en-US' culture with default conversions; consider using Converter property of Binding. NotSupportedException:'System.NotSupportedException: GridLengthConverter cannot convert from (null).

at System.ComponentModel.TypeConverter.GetConvertFromException(Object value)

at System.Windows.GridLengthConverter.ConvertFrom(ITypeDescriptorContext typeDescriptorContext, CultureInfo cultureInfo, Object source)

at MS.Internal.Data.DefaultValueConverter.ConvertHelper(Object o, Type destinationType, DependencyObject targetElement, CultureInfo culture, Boolean isForward)'

System.Windows.Data Error: 6 : 'ObjectSourceConverter' converter failed to convert value '' (type ''); fallback value will be used, if available. BindingExpression:Path=Tag; DataItem='TabControl' (Name='CreateWizardTabControl'); target element is 'ColumnDefinition' (HashCode=36384517); target property is 'Width' (type 'GridLength') NotSupportedException:'System.NotSupportedException: GridLengthConverter cannot convert from (null).

at MS.Internal.Data.DefaultValueConverter.ConvertHelper(Object o, Type destinationType, DependencyObject targetElement, CultureInfo culture, Boolean isForward)

at MS.Internal.Data.ObjectSourceConverter.Convert(Object o, Type type, Object parameter, CultureInfo culture)

at System.Windows.Data.BindingExpression.ConvertHelper(IValueConverter converter, Object value, Type targetType, Object parameter, CultureInfo culture)'

System.Windows.Data Error: 40 : BindingExpression path error: 'Name' property not found on 'object' ''CreateWizardViewModel' (HashCode=2746927)'. BindingExpression:Path=Name; DataItem='CreateWizardViewModel' (HashCode=2746927); target element is 'ComboBox' (Name='DataStripSizeCombo'); target property is 'DisplayMemberPath' (type 'String')

I also occasionally get this crash when I leave the application idle long enough. I don't believe it's related, though.

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException was unhandled

Message: An unhandled exception of type 'System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException' occurred in PresentationFramework.dll

Additional information: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello AySz88,

I understand that you are currently experiencing an issue while creating a RAID 5 trying to rebuild the RAID 1 you had previously.

Regarding this and in order to assist you in the best way, I will need more information about your system, please download and run the utility Intel ® SSU which you can get from the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

Once you have created the report, please attach it to this thread so I can have more information about the system, also, please attach a screenshot(s) of the "Disk Management" so we can have more information of how the disks show there.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
AYuan2
Beginner

Requested info is attached.

David-Intel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AySz88,

Thank you for your response,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with the information, we are now currently reviewing it and will be getting back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
AYuan2
Beginner

Hello, just checking in - any additional information available or ETA, or information you need?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AySz88,

Thank you for your response and patience.

I was checking the different documents and reports you provided. First, I have found out that the version of the chipset you have in the system is not compatible with the version of Intel ® RST that you are running.

I will need you to uninstall Intel ® RST completely from the system, reboot the computer, and then download the version in the link below, that link is from your motherboard manufacturer's website:

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Drivers/Intel/SATA/RapidStorage(v14.8.0.1042_PV).zip Intel ® RST 14.8

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. *

Once downloaded, please proceed to install the program again using the file downloaded.

After that, make sure to completely erase the 2 disks that you want to add to the RAID 5, by erase I mean leave it as "Unallocated". Once done, please proceed to leave 5MB from the disk with your data Unallocated at the end of the drive, since the metadata of the RAID will be saved there and once all of the above steps have been followed, proceed with the volume creation.

Let me know the outcome.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
AYuan2
Beginner

I now have the 14.8 version of RST working. I did need to run the installer with the "-overall" command line switch to get past an error, then manually replace the driver by downloading the appropriate old version of "f6flpy-x64.zip" and using the "Have Disk..." method in Device Manager.

Unfortunately the option to preserve data on my disk (currently on port 0) does not appear. Oddly, I noticed that the option was available for the drives on ports 2 and 3 before I wiped the partition tables on those disks, but never for the drive on port 0. (See screenshots.)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AySz88,

I understand that you cannot see the option to preserve the data.

I am currently reviewing the information and the screenshots in order to find the best solution, please allow me some time, I will be getting back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AySz88,

I would like you to try the following:

1 - The drive that has the Operating System and the one that has the data you want to save, please change the SATA ports and try to create the RAID 5 again.

2 - If the step above did not work then, please try to create the RAID 5 with only 3 drives. If it is created successfully and your data is preserved, please try to add a 4th drive.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AySz88,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

I would like to know if you were able to follow the steps I provided previously.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
AYuan2
Beginner

I had to revert the RAID drivers and software again because they automatically upgraded due to the Windows 10 April Update.

After that, I tried your suggestions but was not successful. I also tried adding a pagefile to the partition I want to keep, thus causing it to be detected as a system disk. This causes the box with the question "Do you want to keep data from one of the selected disks?" to appear, but were are no drives listed underneath that. (see screenshot)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AySz88,

Thank you for your response.

I would like to try the following:

1 - Create a RAID 1 with the 8TB drive that has your information + Another 8TB drive.

2 - Once created, please migrate the RAID 1 to RAID 5 with the other drives connected.

* For the second step, you can refer to the screenshot attached on this reply*

This process should move your existing data from the RAID 1 into the RAID 5 that you want, we are doing it this way because it is the easiest way in order to keep your data safe.

Let me know the results please.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
AYuan2
Beginner

Unfortunately there is a similar problem creating a RAID 1 - when I select the disks, the box with "Do you want to keep data from one of the selected disks?" appears, but nothing is listed below it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AySz88,

Lets try the following:

1 - Create a RAID 1 with 2 empty hard drives.

2 - Move the data from the disk to the newly created RAID 1.

3 - Add a third empty disk to it and then migrate the RAID 1 to RAID 5 (While keeping the original drive with the data).

This will let us know if there is any problem during the creation and migration.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AySz88,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to create the RAID 1 with the empty drives?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
AYuan2
Beginner

Yes, I now have a three-disk RAID 5 with my data on it (in addition to the original 8TB disk with another copy of my data), with a status of "Initializing 35% complete". It is progressing quite slowly, though.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AySz88,

I understand that so far it is going good but slow. Let me know once the process is complete to make sure it worked for you.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos