Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

CherryTrail x5 z-8350: How to boot from USB for a Windows clean install?

DCaiz
Beginner

Hi everyone,

First time here, so please, don't take offense if I'm asking a question you've already replied to a zillion time...

The title says it all, but I'll elaborate anyway: I recently bought a very cheap laptop (Schneider SCL141CTP) with a very nice 14.1" screen, but with a major gripe, i.e. it has Windows 10 Home on it, and I'd like to upgrade to Pro.

Went through the upgrade rigamarole, got the infamous "We couldn't upgrade your system..." error message after entering my legit Windows 10 Pro product key, went back to the Microsoft Store, and was only "offered" to buy another license for Windows 10 Pro, but since I already have one, I don't see the point in buying another one, especially considering that my other computer is a Mac, and my Windows 10 Pro license is currently unused.

I have a legit Windows 10 Pro ISO (2, in fact: one 32-bit, and one 64-bit, both downloaded from Microsoft), and my question here is twofold: how can I make my laptop to boot from a bootable USB drive to perform a clean install, and how can I install a 64-bit version, knowing that the CPU IS a 64-bit CPU?

I have made several attempts, all fruitless. I really need a play-by-play tutorial here.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In many cases, it is the resources (lack thereof) that cause updates to fail.

If you have installation media, insert it and start the upgrade fhom there (actually, Setup.exe should start up automatically). This way, you upgrade without losing anything - and avoid resource issues.

I don't know if this is the actual reason for yoyr problem, but worth a try...

...S

0 Kudos
DCaiz
Beginner

Hi, and thanks for taking the time!

Actually, when I launch setup.exe after mounting the ISO, after a while, the only option I'm offered is to reinstall Windows 10 Home, not upgrade to Pro. I don't want that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello UglyStuff

I am reviewing your case and I see that you are having troubles completing the Windows® upgrade, if the .exe file does not le let you chose the Windows® 10 Pro I will recommend contacting Microsoft for the steps to complete the upgrade between Windows® 10 home to Windows® 10 Pro.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
DCaiz
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time! I suspect this is an OEM issue, more than anything else: the laptop manufacturer probably opted for Windows 10 Home 32-bit for licensing reasons, and doesn't allow any other version of Windows to be installed on the hardware.

I have no valid proof of that, but it would make sense, given the low price tag and fairly modest specs.

Thanks anyway! Y'all have a good weekend!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is actually not that uncommon. If the design is locked into, say, 2GB of memory, there is actually going to be better performance running 32-bit Windows.

...S

0 Kudos
DCaiz
Beginner

Yeah, I gathered as much, and I have pretty much given up on upgrading to Pro at the moment. I bought this cheap laptop as a secondary machine, so I'll just leave it as it is. Thanks anyway! Have a great weekend!

0 Kudos