Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Where can I get a driver for my intel centrino dual band wireless adapter N 1030 that is digitally signed in a way that windows 7 will accept as valid?

DSlom
Beginner

I desperately need the driver for the Intel N 1030 Dual Band Wireless Adapter, which neither Dell nor Intel supports anymore. I find it very odd that there IS A DRIVER for the SINGLE Band N 1030 at Intel Support, updated August 2017. Why no Dual Band?

Suddenly, after six or seven years, I'm having a problem with Windows throwing Code 52 in Device Manager which refuses to install it. (Code 52: "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the driverS required for this device. A recent hardware or software change [SUCH AS WINDOWS UPDATE???] might have installed a file that signed incorrectly or is damaged or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.")

I imagine the problem has to do with Windows security updates since this error started after an update.

I ran DriverEasy, which tried to install what it thinks ought to work and got BSOD. I tried it again, ready with camera this time for the BSOD, but it installed ok. Except that Windows says driver isn't for my system. It was version 15.something. My version, dated August 2011, is 14.2.0.10. It has worked since October 2011, when I got it with my Dell Inspiron N7110.

If you can help me out by providing access to the original driver (assuming its digital signature will be recognized by Windows) I'd be grateful.

Or if you can suggest how to get Windows to recognize as "legal" the digital signature that's been there for 6.5 years, that would be all around better.

I tried installing the driver from Intel Support for SINGLE Band N 1030 but it failed.

NOTE: I found detailed instructions about how to change WIndows to ignore problems with driver signatures, but the OS is Windows Home Premium--NOT Professional. It does not have much along the lines of admin capabilities--gpedit.msc is missing.

The only workaround I can find is to press F8 during boot and select the option that allows unsigned drivers. I have to remember to do this every time I reboot. But I hate to open this door to possible malicious drivers being installed. So a terrible workaround, but without it, I have no wireless.

Dave Slomer

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello dslomer64

We understand you're receiving an error code 52 on device manager for your https://ark.intel.com/products/59481/Intel-Centrino-Wireless-N-1030-Single-Band Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 on Windows* 7.

Please keep in mind that this legacy adapter model was only made for single band (802.11b/g/n, as opposed to a/g/n), it does not support the 5 GHz band.

The latest drivers available for your adapter can be found through our download center or the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006507/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Customer Support Options for Discontinued Intel® Wireless Products article. The https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27042 latest published WiFi driver for Windows* 7 is version 15.11.0.9, made available through the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version 18.40.4.

If the error code remains while using these drivers (which we can confirm are digitally signed), perhaps you may be experiencing a known WIndows* 7 bug addressed through a hotfix:

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2619914/a-signed-driver-is-displayed-as-unsigned-in-windows-7-or-in-windows-se A signed driver is displayed as unsigned in Windows 7* - by Microsoft* Support

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello dslomer64

We understand you're receiving an error code 52 on device manager for your https://ark.intel.com/products/59481/Intel-Centrino-Wireless-N-1030-Single-Band Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 on Windows* 7.

Please keep in mind that this legacy adapter model was only made for single band (802.11b/g/n, as opposed to a/g/n), it does not support the 5 GHz band.

The latest drivers available for your adapter can be found through our download center or the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006507/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Customer Support Options for Discontinued Intel® Wireless Products article. The https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27042 latest published WiFi driver for Windows* 7 is version 15.11.0.9, made available through the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version 18.40.4.

If the error code remains while using these drivers (which we can confirm are digitally signed), perhaps you may be experiencing a known WIndows* 7 bug addressed through a hotfix:

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2619914/a-signed-driver-is-displayed-as-unsigned-in-windows-7-or-in-windows-se A signed driver is displayed as unsigned in Windows 7* - by Microsoft* Support

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There is a second possibility: The digital signature may have expired. If this is the case, Intel would need to resign the package.

...S

0 Kudos
DSlom
Beginner

Hi, Carlos...

"... this legacy adapter model was only made for single band ..." Well, I'm embarrassed. My ROUTER is DUAL band, so I assumed so is my wireless adapter. It'd been so long since I got the laptop that I forgot adapter was single band. So there WAS a driver for me.

I downloaded and attempted to apply setup version 18.40.4, but Windows handed me problem after problem as it tried to install the new adapter software version 15.11.0.9. After an hour or more, I gave up.

I then downloaded and applied the Hotfix from Microsoft that you provided. But even after the Hotfix ran, the Intel Web Support Assistant and the one on my laptop repeatedly gave messages saying "Installation blocked... please uninstall previous version." So I uninstalled one Network adapter at a time per message received. I finally made a bad mistake and uninstalled Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller. It took quite a while today to reinstall it since I checked the box to uninstall the driver software. No Internet access is available wirelessly or through Ethernet without it (REALLY dumb move.)

I wasn't sure which network adapter to reinstall. Windows gave warnings that it can't guarantee that ANY driver listed would work or that its digital signature would be valid. I finally determined that I needed to install Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller and ignored the warning.

But it still wasn't easy. And after a few more failed attempts to get all necessary Network adapter drivers installed, Windows installed the OLD adapter (version 14.2.0.10), which then allowed wireless connectivity to the Internet.

Since I'd had so many problems with using setup version 18.40.4 and Support Assistants to install 15.11.0.9, I decided to leave it in this working state. (During this week-long frustration, I also found that Windows couldn't restore to previously-set restore point whether it's MY restore point or Windows'. So I'm not touching anything about Network adapters until Restore works again.)

A BIG THANKS for helping me fix a problem that, without the Hotfix from Microsoft, might have been impossible for me to figure out. The "invalid" digital signatures never were invalid, just misinterpreted by Windows until the Hotfix was applied.

Dave Slomer

idata
Employee

Hello Dave,

Sounds like you went through quite an odyssey. We're definitely glad we were able to clue you in the right direction.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos