Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Why is it not possible to change the parameters of Intel Management Engine in BIOS

JOver1
Beginner

I have a Dell Optiplex model 980 desktop computer and when I try to go into the

section of the BIOS (in this case version A17 - latest available) related to the

Intel Management Engine I can neither view nor change any of the parameters

that are related to the functioning of the Intel Management Engine - please see

link below for PDF of the parameters for the IME.

Also, when I go into the IME BIOS section, I can not even change the default

password "admin" to anything else - get error when attempting to do so, yes I am

confirming and correctly typing the new password - get error message when attempting

to change.

It is as if the A17 BIOS version has been used to LOCK the computer user out of the

IME settings. Other than "attempting" to change the default password, there is no other

operable functionality in the IME BIOS section, only option for the user is to soft or hard reboot the machine.

What would be the purpose of Dell locking the user out of the IME section of the

BIOS ?

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/desktop/sb/intelmebxsettings_v02.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/desktop/sb/intelmebxsettings_v02.pdf

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Are you referring to some section of the BIOS configuration scenes or are you talking about the ME BIOS Extension (MEBx, which you enter via CTRL-P)?

0 Kudos
JOver1
Beginner

Yes, I am talking about the BIOS extension section which is listed on the boot menu screen:

I don't have it open in front of me right now (otherwise I could not be type this) but the order

is something to the effect, don't have to hit any ctrl P because I have the show extended BIOS

turned on in the regular BIOS section:

Diagnostics

Setup

MEBX - extended BIOS section

Did you look at the PDF file link that I attached. Those parameters are for configuring the

extended BIOS, however it is impossible to configure/change or view those if you can not

get into the extended BIOS, beyond an initial prompt for changing the password, which does

NOT work.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You will need to talk to Dell to find out why these options are not being offered.

...S

0 Kudos
JOver1
Beginner

Scott:

Have talked to DELL until I am blue in the face and NO answer.

Intel tell me it is Dell's problem, Dell tells me it is Intel's problem, just going around and around in circles

A typical case of pass the buck !!!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sorry this is happening. Intel has no control over what Dell does in their BIOS. They are passing the buck but shouldn't be. Unfortunately, it is typical for their support people...

...S

0 Kudos