Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Computer crashing after upgrading cpu

JBrea2
Beginner

I just upgraded my cpu in my pc from a pentium g4400 to an i7 7700k. The pc booted up normally, but after using it for a few hours the screen went black, and all the fans spun at max rpms for 30 seconds or so. (This never happened with the old cpu). It only seems to crash when playing certain games, originally all games, but disabling the turbo fixed some crashes. I can't seem to figure out why only some games crash while others I can play for hours and not experience a single issue. When the pc crashes(happened 4 times already, only twice the fans spun at max), it boots me to the bios and doesn't recognize the hdd. Once I completely power it down, and turn it back on, it will boot to windows 10. I haven't ordered an after market cooler yet, so I'm still using a stock cooler. The highest temp I recorded was 75c, and the idle is about 40c. I updated the graphics card Driver's, flashed the bios to the latest version and disabled the turbo that the chip has, which has helped crashing on select games, while the crashing still exists on others. I also set the bios settings to optimized defaults.

I don't believe the cpu is faulty, does anyone know how to fix this?

My specs:

i7 7700k(not being overclocked)

Asus strix z270f mb

12 gb Corsair vengeance 2133mhz ram

Gtx 1060 3gb

450w psu(unsure of brand)

Windows 10 64 bit

2tb western digital hdd 7200 rpm

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Are you using the proper bios?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z270F-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/ ROG STRIX Z270F GAMING CPU / Memory Support | Motherboards | ASUS USA

Doc

0 Kudos
JBrea2
Beginner

I'm using bios version 1040.

The 7700k has been supported since 0604, same with the g4400 that I had used prior.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, this information will help the Intel support staff assist you.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Your using a low wattage power supply (PSU) - your old CPU used 54 Watts and the new one uses 91 watts - so now there is more draw/drain on the PSU. Not all games and apps will draw the same amount of current from your Power supply (that's why some games would be crashing and not others) The more work a CPU does the more power it draws. So when you disabled Turbo mode it helped fix some games because Turbo Mode requires more wattage out of the PSU.

Try upgrading to a 500-650 watt PSU - Though I highly recommend going with a larger than you need PSU so aim more for a 650 watt (and don't get a cheap brand they fail so easy - and quite often the cheap brands will print over rated stickers on them as to how much power they can handle - when in reality they fail) A good way to know if a PSU is good is to make sure it has "80 Plus" symbol.

(Larger than you need PSU is good because it stresses the PSU less which means less heat which equals longer life.)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Jaredb.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel® Communities Team.

I understand you are having some issues after upgrading you CPU. Allow me to help you regarding this issue you are facing.

As ϟtåƦ♐ mentioned, it seems that the problem is the PSU which is providing a low wattage for the components your computer has. I was able to double check that by using this 3rd party wattage calculator: https://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator https://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator

Regards,

Antony S.

0 Kudos
JBrea2
Beginner

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll be ordering a new psu shortly. I bought this thing from a friend, so I assume that he bought a very cheap and unreliable psu to spend money on other components(since he was building on a budget). If I have any other problems after I replace it I'll be Back.

Thank you guys again

Jaredb

0 Kudos