Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

APC_INDEX_MISMATCH with Intel HD Graphics 630

SMENG5
Beginner

Hi,

Since the last windows major update (Fall Creators Update published this winter 2017) I can no longer watch any protected videos on my PC, the result is either an error from the video player in the best case or a computer crash with a bluescreen APC_INDEX_MISMATCH in igdkmd64.sys.

My PC configuration is :

Motherboard : MSI H270M Mortar Artic (Latest Bios MS-7A69 B.40) (I had to upgrade BIOS on this board for the latest graphics driver to not show only noise on the screen when returning from standby)

RAM : 16 GB

Processor : Core i3-7100 CPU

Graphic chipset : Intel HD Graphics 630

Intel Chipset Drivers : 10.1.1.44

Intel ME Drivers : 11.7.0.1043

Intel Graphic Drivers : 23.20.16.4901 (or 15.60.2.4901 when you download it) (tried : 4877, 4815, 4678 all the same BSOD)

Windows 10 Pro x64 Version : 1709 (16299.192)

Playing videos that is not protected by DRM is fine : YouTube for instance, personal videos made with smartphone

Playing videos from :

* Netflix Application

* Netflix Website

* OCS Application (French film & TV subscription service)

* CANAL VOD Web Site (French film rental service)

Computers instantly crash with APC_INDEX_MISMATCH (Netflix Application sometimes doesn't crash but give error H7354 (not sure of err. number though) and this error on the Netflix website does invite Windows 10S user to install the media feature pack, this would suggest that Fall Creator update + intel driver + motherboard combination = broken protected media path)

Before Windows Fall Creator Update I had ZERO issues with this system (except with new Intel Graphics Drivers when returning from standby where the screen was corrupted this was resolved by installing a bios update)

0 Kudos
15 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, StephaneM60.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel® Communities Team.

I understand that after the Windows 10*update you are receiving an error when watching protected videos. Allow me to help you regarding this issue you are facing.

I can see that Microsoft® is having a solution for this specific error you are facing (APC_INDEX_MISMATCH). Please find the fix in the following link: https://errorkit.com/errors-directory/id/40347?cid=Errors.TX.new-errorid_40347-errorname_APC_INDEX_MISMATCH&gclid=Cj0KCQiAv_HSBRCkARIsAGaSsrByF0jIrU_zkvxMWM7Qxp4D_J7FYplDF7gwtgI0wzMdSjNTVcrOgTkaAhUyEALw_wcB https://errorkit.com/errors-directory/id/40347?cid=Errors.TX.new-errorid_40347-errorname_APC_INDEX_MISMATCH&gclid=Cj0KCQiAv_HSBRCkARIsAGaSsrByF0jIrU_zkvxMWM7Qxp4D_J7FYplDF7gwtgI0wzMdSjNTVcrOgTkaAhUyEALw_wcB

Before performing this step I will highly recommend you to get in touch with Microsoft® so you can verify if you can run this patch without any problem.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
SMENG5
Beginner

Hi Antony,

Thanks (I think) for your reply. Though I'm confused : the link you provided is not for a fix from Microsoft, instead it's a trial for a third party software which costs 29.99$ from "Dimitra Ltd" located in the virgin island... So there is no way that I'm installing this piece of software on my computer.

However, I can see another thread where someone is having the exact same problem as me, and somehow "Leonardo C." from intel sent a private message to the user having the issue and the procedure contained in this message seems to have fixed the issue, so I'm wondering what was this private message content ?

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, StephaneM60.

Thank you for your reply.

The link I attached in the last post was basically a fix that Microsoft® provided for this issue. In the other /thread/121280 thread you mentioned, the problem was solved by uninstalling the Intel® Graphics drivers and using the Windows *drivers. It seems that this problem is generated by the Operating System; I recommend you to verify if there is any update for it or get in touch with https://support.microsoft.com/en-us Microsoft® Support.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
SMENG5
Beginner

Hi Antony,

I'm sorry but the link you provided IS NOT from Microsoft, look at it closely, download the software and you'll see : it is a trial product (value 30$) for a software that analyze your computer for errors, so this is a totally useless software and possible a scam (I suppose that you found it by making a simple web search and this company is using effecting SEO to capture search trafic for people having issues). Their web page is also a pure reproduction of the design of Microsoft download web site, and to me it is clearly for misleading and possibly cheating people.

As I have this issue for month, I do have searched for a solution and for now, I only have found users having the same issue as me. So I will wait until someone will acknowledge the issues and the fix to be incorporated in the graphics drivers or in windows (its clearly something wrong in the protected media path)

As for your observation regarding the other thread, you have not read it to the end. Indeed the OP is stating that uninstalling intel graphic driver and using a basic Microsoft display driver is resolving the issues. By doing so, it also state that the display is not using any advanced capacity of the hardware, so I assume that the display is in very low resolution, and as such the protected media path it not used at all (I'm thinking especially on playback restriction over uncompliant HDCP display when playing content in HD, that doesn't engage when the display resolution is not in HD)

Though the users is also saying that it received a private message from the intel agent and after reading this private message, it seems that the users disabled all intel services and with intel services disabled the error wasn't occurring anymore (though the users is also having RAM issues which I don't). So I'm wondering what was instructed the user to do by intel (Disabling intel services and restart the PC ?)

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, StephaneM60.

Thank you very much for your reply.

In this case, we can try another troubleshooting step. You can install the Graphics Drivers that your Motherboard manufacturer provides. Please download those Drivers from MSI* by clicking http://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/intel_vga_kbl_w10.zip here.

Then in order to complete the installation first uninstall your current Graphics drivers using the following instructions:

1. Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.

2. Expand "Display Adapter", right-click the Intel Graphics entry, and click Uninstall.

3. On Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the Intel HD Graphics driver then click OK to start the uninstall process.

4. When the uninstall process is complete, disconnect your computer from the internet and make sure it will not auto connect when reboot. Restart your system.

5. Install the MSI* Graphics Drivers.

Please let me know the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, StephaneM60.

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that I attached in the post above and the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
SMENG5
Beginner

Sorry for the late reply, I'v been busy lastly.

I uninstalled and installed MSI drivers, the result is the same : either bluescreen or Netflix error U7354

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, StephaneM60.

In this case, I would like to recreate the issue you are facing, for me to do so, please attach the information requested on the following link in you next post : /thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Antony S.
0 Kudos
SMENG5
Beginner

Hi,

Ok, I attached the requested informations.

CategoryQuestionsAnswers

Description

How often100% either BSOD or error U7354 trying to watch Netflix video (sometimes opening Netflix = BSOD)HardwareBrand or modelN/A (Home build)Hybrid or switchable graphic system ?N/ADoes it have AMD or NV graphics too ?NoMake and Model of DisplaysEFP : LG UltraWide and LG Flatron UltraSlimRAM16 GBSoftwareOS versionWindows 10 Pro 64 bits, version 1709 (16299.192)VBIOSIntel Video BiosGraphics Driver version22.20.16.4836SW or Apps versionNetflix Latest Version Available on Windows Store (automatically updated)ConfigurationDisplays ?Dual Display extended modeResolutionDisplay 1 : 2560 x1080 @ 60 Hz, Display 2 : 1208 x 1024 @ 60 HzPowerAC Power with UPSHow to repro

1. Launch Netflix

2. If Netflix has not crashed the PC, select a video to watch

3. Either PC instantly crash or there is some wait until error U7534

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, StephaneM60.

Thank you very much for the information provided. I will recreate this issue at our lab. This might take some time nonetheless, once I finish I will definitely let you know.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, StephaneM60.

Thank you very much for your patience.

I have recreated your issue at our labs as previously mentioned. I used an https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K which has the Intel HD Graphics 630 controller as your https://ark.intel.com/products/97455/Intel-Core-i3-7100-Processor-3M-Cache-3_90-GHz Intel Core™ i3-7100.

I did not receive any BSOD or U7534 error while playing videos either from the Netflix application or website directly. Additionally, I used the latest Intel® HD Graphics drivers (4944) released on 02/13/2018.

I will attach a .txt file with the hardware used in the lab.

Please update the drivers of your system. Click https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27484/a08/win64_15.65.3.4944.zip here in order to download the Graphics drivers. Then, in order to complete the installation follow these steps:

1. Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.

2. Expand "Display Adapter", right-click the Intel Graphics entry, and click Uninstall.

3. On Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the Intel HD Graphics driver then click OK to start the uninstall process.

4. When the uninstall process is complete, disconnect your computer from the internet and make sure it will not auto connect when reboot. Restart your system.

Complete these first 4 steps until you see the "Microsoft Display Adapter" on the Device Manager.

5. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

6. Open Device Manager

7. Expand the Display adapters section.

8. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software. (Note: The graphics entry may be "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

9. Click Browse my computer for driver software.

10. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are found.

11. Click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

12. Reboot your computer when prompted.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, StephaneM60.

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that I attached in the post above and the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
JRatz1
Beginner

Antony,

I am experiencing this exact same issue with the exact same setup and version. I was able to locate the only recently released driver that you linked to for this person and I did not work. Same outcome in Netflix and same error when trying it even in the browser. APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

Any other ideas on this? It's been killing me for a while now:(

Jdr

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, jdr2k19.

I sent you a private message, please verify your inbox.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
SMENG5
Beginner

Hi Antony,

A follow up on the issue : I followed the instruction and installed the driver attached and that has not resolved the issue at all (I didn't experience bluescreen but the Netflix error U7354)

However, yesterday there was both a Windows Update and Intel Graphic Driver update :

* Windows Update : KB4088776 (Cumulative update for Windows 10, version 1709)

* Intel Graphic : 23.20.16.4944

Note : I have a Intel Graphic driver update pending 23.20.16.4973 (on windows update). So I'm not sure I installed the graphic update yet. So it must be the cumulative update that did the trick (or the fact that I removed all the intel drivers as instructed so as to go back to a windows basic driver, then installing the driver linked, and having the cumulative update). The cumulative update does have something regarding media application failing and graphic driver update so....

But : Netflix is working again.

So case closed.

Best Regards

0 Kudos