Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

After a Microsoft update to Dell Inspiron, vertical lines on sleep wakeup; latest driver does not fix it

CB2
Beginner

MY boyfriend has a Dell Inspiron 13, Win 10, Core i5-6200U. It did a MS update on the evening of 1-12, and afterward, upon waking the laptop from sleep, the screen displays vertical lines, and moving the mouse shows a small square in that screen. Occasionally rebooting will get the screen back, but usually we just had to wait for a while, 10 min or so, and the screen would return. The display adaptor is a Intel HD Graphics 520. I noticed that the MS update had installed a new graphics driver, so I went out to Intel to get the latest one. I could not get it installed - kept getting "Machine does not meet minimum requirements."

I went out to the Dell site and let it do a scan to find updates, and it installed the Intel Graphics Driver 22.20.16.4771. At first we thought that fixed it, but the next wakeup from sleep, the lines were back. I have googled this and see that it is a rampant issue, for many people.

The MS update that was done in KB4056892. I have installed the latest drivers from Dell. Still this problem persists. The only way we have been able to avoid it is to disable the sleep mode, which is a bit silly to have to do that. I tried to use the Intel auto driver detection but the site is down for mainenance.

What is the resolution for this problem??

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Chess1.

Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel® Communities Team. I understand you are having some issues with your laptop which every time it goes to sleep the display will show some vertical lines. Allow me to help you regarding this issue you are facing.

I would like you to perform a manual installation of the Intel® Graphics driver. In order to achieve so, please download the .zip file by clicking here.

Then, to complete the installation, please follow these steps:

1. Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.

2. Expand "Display Adapter", right-click the Intel Graphics entry, and click Uninstall.

3. On Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the Intel HD Graphics driver then click OK to start the uninstall process.

4. When the uninstall process is complete, disconnect your computer from the internet and make sure it will not auto connect when reboot. Restart your system.

5. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

6. Open Device Manager

7. Expand the Display adapters section.

8. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software. (Note: The graphics entry may be "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

9. Click Browse my computer for driver software.

10. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are found.

11. Click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

12. Reboot your computer when prompted.

Please let me know the results.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Chess1.

Here is the link for you to download the .zip file for the graphics drivers:https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27412/a08/win64_15.60.2.4901.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27412/a08/win64_15.60.2.4901.zip

I forgot to attach it in the last post.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
CB2
Beginner

Thank you. I had tried to install one from the Intel site before, and that is when I got that "minimum requirements" message. I will try again - will be the weekend before I can get to it. I'll post back with the results at that time.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Chess1.

Thank you for your reply. When you are installing the drivers please download the .zip file I attached and use the steps I provided above.

Thank you for your patience.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Chess1.

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that I attached in the last post and the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
CB2
Beginner

No I have not - this issue is with my boyfirend's laptop, and I have not been at his home to look at it yet. Hopefully this coming weekend.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Chess1.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Please let me know once you have completed the steps so I can continue assisting you if further troubleshooting stesp are required.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Chess1.

I would like to double check if the troubleshooting steps mentioned above worked for you. Please let me know.

Antony S.
0 Kudos