Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Intel 9260 Issues

KCole1
Beginner

Hello,

Using the ONLY driver for the 9260 I cannot get this to work on my laptop (HP Envy x360).

I get the following error's in event viewer:

Event 5000, Netwtw06

Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260: Has encountered a conflict in resources and could not load.

Event 5001, Netwtw06

Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260: Could not allocate the resources necessary for operation.

Event 5002, Netwtw06

Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260: Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

Event 5003, Netwtw06

Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260: Could not find a network adapter.

Event 5005. Netwtw06

Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260: Has encountered an internal error and has failed.

Event 5006, Netwtw06

Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260: The version number is incorrect for this driver.

Event 5010, Netwtw06

Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260: The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.

Event 5032, Netwtw06

5032 - Driver Miniport reset watchdog

Event 5055, Netwtw06

5055 - HW error

Is this an incompatibility with the laptop, a driver issue, or is the hardware actually failed.

~TY

0 Kudos
25 Replies
KCole1
Beginner

oh boy, intel forum software, cannot unselect assume answered that I clicked on when trying to click on the title! going swell already!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Net7,

We understand that you're upgrading the wireless adapter on your laptop to the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260, but are unable to get this to work properly.

It's important to mention that we do not provide support for custom wireless integrations (upgrades). It's always vital to check with your computer manufacturer beforehand, as they're the only ones that can confirm hardware compatibility, approve the upgrade, and provide you with support afterwards (if they approved the upgrade).

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?

That being said, without promising that the issue will be resolved, we can try some troubleshooting steps to see if we're able to get you up and running. To begin, we would like to get the following:

1. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® System Support Utility. Select to scan "everything," then save and name the report.

2. Generate and share a WLAN Report (only if you're using Windows® 10)1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.2. At the command prompt, type: netsh wlan show wlanreport

3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport\ and locate "wlan-report-latest.html"3. In some of these cases, a BIOS update can go a long way. Please check with your computer manufacturer to make sure that you're using the latest UEFI BIOS version for your laptop.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KCole1
Beginner

I try not to waste anyone's time, I wish others would provide the same level of service.

Card was tested in an HP, a Dell and an MSI, the Dell has an 8260*.

All 3 MFG state that while unsupported outside of what they sell, there is no restrictions/whitelists, and it should work.

THE KICKER FROM THE MFG:

As the ERROR's you are getting ARE FROM THE INTEL DRIVERS, contact INTEL for SUPPORT as there is no RESTRICTIONS to COMPATIBILITY on our (MSI/HP/Dell)'s end

I came here, and posted all the INTEL WIRELESS ERROR's so someone from INTEL could LOOK AT THE ERROR's THEIR OWN SOFTWARE/DRIVERS are PROVIDING/GIVING and maybe come up with an answer.

Instead you link to a "why doesn't my laptop recognize", its recognized without an issue, it just WONT START by itself, and when I did get it to start, it didn't see any wireless networks, and the Windows Event Viewer was throwing out the error's as listed above. (as mentioned Bluetooth works PERFECT, its LITERALLY WiFi that does NOT)

Seriously, I work at a call center and manage a team, if ANY of my agents looked at a ticket or took a call EVEN IF the issue WAS NOT on our end (and it happens 90% of the time), THEY ARE STILL REQUIRED to investigate/explain ANY AND ALL ERROR's that OUR HARDWARE/SOFTWARE solution are giving.

Intel Support is so horrible ITS UNREAL

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Net7,

We understand your frustration. This is why I'm offering to help you troubleshoot even though custom wireless integrations are not applicable for support.

It's important for us to take a look at the information requested before providing any suggestions, otherwise we're just taking shots in the dark. However, if the adapter is not working on three different computers, it's possible that you may have a dead-on-arrival (DOA) unit on your hands.

Could you please also share a picture of the label of your adapter, as well as the PB# printed on the back?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KCole1
Beginner

Update:

Got a replacement 9260, and the new Killer 1550 (got the killer in yesterday) which uses the same driver and IS a 9260 for the simple name change on the label (seriously, same layout even... thats just cheap).

Fresh install just to make sure something wasn't hinky, and downloaded the LATEST driver, they BOTH work just fine on my INTEL system's.

HOWEVER, once again, when placed into my Envy x360 powered by Ryzen Mobile, NOPE, same issues!

I have also read in other posts here on the forums and over on Reddit (yo to all linked here from Reddit) that it does not work with Ryzen DESKTOP system's either!

So, I am going to test that next weekend when I get a chance, then probably forward all the testing and report information to a tech news outlet.

I am looking forward to seeing the "Intel PURPOSELY excludes AMD Ryzen/Ryzen Mobile support for 9000 series Wireless modules" headline.

Thanks for offering no real support and updating my ticket Intel eMail support!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Net7,

As noted prior we have offered to try and provide assistance and have requested information from you in order to do so. If you choose not to respond then we are unable to help you further to determine the root cause.

The difference between the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 and it's Killer* rebranded counterparts is that Killer* provides an unique solution that reduces latency and improves the overall gaming and multimedia experience. See:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026140/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Support for Killer® Wireless-AC 1550 Series Wireless Network Adapters - source: intel.com

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KCole1
Beginner

The level of... "I don't want to do my job" in your reply is AMAZING!

Per my last statement, I provided all that info and more in an eMail on an existing ticket that started with a phone call to management, and that has gone back and forth, so I can only ASSuME that you don't have access to the same tickets the eMail or Phone team does.

Same hardware, Same driver, different branding, same issue, OOPS WE GOT AN ISSUE

Killer 1550 purchased from Killer on Amazon, same issue, means same hardware, same driver, same problem... I might just spend tonight testing on my Ryzen Desktop, the sooner I can get this testing done with 3 different cards (the 2 9260's and the new 1550), the sooner I can get this off to someone who can actually make intel pay attention and either list that the newer Intel 9000 series is incompatible with all AMD RYZEN based products because *insert [ EDITED FOR LANGUAGE ] reason here*.

Side note:

Should you ever apply for a position where I work, I would NOT even hire you as a call director, which requires little to no technical knowledge except for point and click and transfer calls to the correct department (hell, the position isn't even in existence anymore, I wouldn't hire you for a no longer existing position), let alone a T1 or T2 for my own team or someone else's team.

Why would I make such a statement you ask? Well, the fact I pointed out the Killer 1550, that uses the same drivers as a base and is the SAME HARDWARE, gets the same issue/error's, and your only reply is to point me to the Killer article... can you not put 1 and 1 together to get 2!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Kerry, enough already. You have been provided an answer that you simply choose to not accept. Enough with insulting the Intel support staff, and enough about jobs where you work.

I am certain that on your call center you have house rules. The same applies here.

This is your only warning.

Doc

0 Kudos
KCole1
Beginner

Sorry was that support staff? I couldn't tell, I provided error's, methods and more, and didn't get any support at all, or even any details on the errors that I got despite the fact they stated they came from Intel.

No worries however, I am conducting my test right now with the cards on my desktop, and once I am done I am going to provide my report to any tech news outlet that might be interested.

After-all, you can cover your own behind for the Intel cards, but you cant do it for the Killer cards which are based on the same hardware and driver.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Do what you want. If you want to do it here, you will keep it clean and professional, and respectful.

Doc

0 Kudos
KCole1
Beginner

In that case, going forward my only reply's will be to actual TECHNICAL SUPPORT staff who can tell me what those error's mean, first post with 9 different INTEL ERROR CODES and not a single INTEL TECHNICAL SUPPORT PHONE, EMAIL, or FORUM agent can advise on them.

Chances are however, that my only reply's will be through that escalated eMail.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Net7,

Despite wireless integration issues not being applicable for support, we are very interested in your issue as it may help other users visiting our Support Community.

I am very familiar with your case history, and do have full access. However, there are no logs or files attached to any of your interactions (looking at both cases). The Windows* Event Viewer error codes posted on your initial interaction should be helpful on the long run, but we do still need to get a better picture in order to troubleshoot.

Could you please share the following:

1. Intel® System Support Utility report

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU

2. While connected to your WiFi network, run the scan for "everything."

3. Save and name the report.

2. Wireless Autoconfig report (Windows® 10 only)

1. Right click your start menu icon and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.

2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport

3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport\

4. Upload the wlan-report-latest.html file along with your reply.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ATell1
New Contributor I

I understand your frustration but Intel doesn't provide support in these cases. These cards are mostly meant for system integrators and when we consumers buy it, it's with the understanding we get no support when placing them in laptops. Even for example Samsung, if you bought the SM961 SSD they would not provide support as it's meant for OEMs but if you bought the slightly higher priced 960 PRO they would as it's meant for retail. Same goes for system vendors, why would they want to waste time and resources for some third party upgrade when they sold a unit working to spec.

The Killer card is meant for retail, yes it's the same 9260, but support is provided by Killer and they forward anything they cannot solve to Intel to fix in their drivers. So that is your best way to deal with the issue at hand, via Killer.

Additionally it's not always as simple as plug and play. There are some laptops even Intel chipset ones that don't play with certain cards due to either power delivery / they way they handle power savings / antenna placements mostly due to system vendor changes to drivers or bios. That's why you see people just as many people liking or hating certain cards regardless of Qualcomm (QCA6174A aka Killer 1535 or Intel 9260/8265) as they behave differently due to various factors. Hence the reason neither Intel nor system builders would provide support directly to end users for making such changes. It's additional resources and time for them if they have deal with so many variables.

0 Kudos
HNg3
Beginner

I believe OP has a Ryzen powered HP Envy x360. There are numerous report from Chinese forums that Intel 9260 does not support AMD platform.

I have tested one on my Windows 10 AMD Ryzen 1700 desktop and can confirm that while the driver can be installed, it does not seems to be working properly. Can't provide more debug details as I already swap it to my Kaby Lake i7 XPS 13 (and working properly).

Intel have to address this issue with a driver patch. It is unfortunate that Intel did not test their product on AMD platform before release.

dforb1
Novice

Fantastic news! A new driver ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27615/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=99445 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 ), literally released just yesterday, has fixed all my instability and BSOD issues on my Ryzen system. 9260 is now safe to use with Ryzen.

EDIT:

Verified with the following tests:

X Successfully installed the drivers without a BSOD

X Successfully connected to 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks without resetting the adapter or losing the connection

X Successfully copied a ~85-90GB UHD Blu-ray over the WLAN

X Successfully watched a 1440p ~ 2 Hr. YouTube video

X Successfully reconnected to WLAN automatically after multiple sleep and reboot cycles

X No errors in Windows Event Log

Prior to downloading the drivers today, it failed every last one of these tests. Marvelous!

EDIT:

I'll add that though it is ironic that the drivers were just posted after my complaints on the Intel forums just a couple days ago, it probably has more to do with that fact that Ryzen 2 releases next month and new systems using Ryzen 2 along with the Intel 9260 were probably in grave need of this fix in time for release.

idata
Employee

Hello Hifihedgehog,

We're very glad to hear that the driver version 20.40.0.4 resolved your BSOD crashes and connectivity issues.

While we may not always be able to provide an immediate solution or support, we do always take customer feedback into account.

Net7 have you been able to test this new driver in your laptop?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
jpark51
Beginner

My system

asrock x399 taichi + threadripper 1950x +ac9260

It does not work on my system.

still, BSOD appears. when I install the driver - Version: 20.40.0 (Latest)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jkpark,

Could you please share an SSU report for this computer (instructions and link on my original reply to this thread)

If you could also share your BSOD error and DUMP file (located on the root folder of your boot drive, if available), it may be helpful for our investigation.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
jpark51
Beginner

I asked for support on intel website(Online Service Center). - includ SSU Scan Information

BSOD : BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER

and I can't find DUMP file (located on the root folder of your boot drive, if available), The file is not in the root folder..

thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jkpark,

Since the issue is already being handled by your local support team, please continue working with them, in order to avoid confusion.

Do feel free to share any progress updates or resolution reached.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos