Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Display incorrect - have green and red edge on vertical part of letters

NHo4
Beginner

My old trusted Sony monitor finally died. I bought a HP 24uh from Amazon that arrived yesterday. The monitor native resolution is 1980x1040 and has 3 ports - HDMI, DVI, VGA.

I have notice there are a few issues in the display, but I want to make sure whether it is caused by the Intel HD Graphic chip or by this new HP monitor being defective.

I have googled a lot and gone to the HP support site but unable to find any mentioning of the "green or red edge at the vertical parts of a letter" that I am seeing. When I mean "vertical parts" it is like in the letters of L, l, I, l, the legs of the m, or M, like in the case of m, the top curves are displayed normally in black, but the legs would have either green or red edge next to them on the left side, mostly. It is manifest themselves as I am typing this.

Upon installation with the DVI to HDMI cable I noticed the display did not go full screen, i.e. when go to a website, the content would only occupy the middle 2 panels space leaving a while panel space on each side of the screen. Full screen is already set a factory spec and unable to change anyway (grayed out option on the OSD menu display. It is also set on the Intel Graphic control panel.

Color calibration and brightness are all off - way way too bright - have to adjust using my computer's Intel HD Graphic Control Panel to adjust the display. The brightness is NOT the same when it is in Window screen (the tiles) and in Desk Top mode. If it is correct on the Window screen tiles, it would be way way too bright in Desk Top mode. Since I spend 99% of the time in Desk Top mode so I adjust the setting to work with Desk Top mode at least not to give me eye strain.

I have used both the Intel Graphic control panel as well as Color Management from the Control Panel to try to calibrate the color and text display but could not eliminate this display issue.

It looks as if there are green and red tiny bars sprinkled all over the text on the screen - showing up in Gmail body, Comcast email body, news feeds, etc. basically on any screen that white is the background.

I also notice that using DVI to HDMI connection, Many display options are not accessible in Window's Control Panel (using Icon display not categories which have much less options to begin with.) HDMI to HDMI show much more display options.

At the top menu bar of a browser, there is white shadow behind the black letters, as if there are 2 identical letters the black is on top of the white, but NOT accurately overlaying it, hence the white underneath becomes a shadow-like, very visible to the point that interfere me reading the words.

Neither these connections would use full screen to display even though the display has only ONE option at 16:9. But HDMI to HDMI seems to give more display on the screen, or, use more space of the screen to display - the while panels on each side are smaller in size versus the DVI to HDMI display.

Also both use the native resolution of 1980 x 1040, and my computer recognize the monitor is an HP 24uh model.

VGA to VGA is a disaster. It immediately dropped the resolution to the lowest while stretched the display to true 16:9 and everything is very Large. The computer also does not recognize this is an HP model, but indicates it as a Generic monitor, without any option to change.

Apparently it is not using the HP driver either.

I believe the green and red should not show up in the text, and it is a defect of this monitor. It may also be the reason why the image display is blurry without sharp edge.

I want to identify which has caused the issues - the Intel Graphic (driver) or the HP monitor is defective.

Can someone help? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, FLL.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel® Communities Team. I understand you are facing some issues with your display which is showing some green and red edge on the vertical parts of the letter on the screen. Allow me to help you regarding this issue you are facing.

In order to troubleshoot this issue, I will highly recommend performing a manual installation of the graphics drivers. In order to achieve so, please go to the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center and, on the search bar search bar type the model of your processor and look for the latest drivers version for the graphics. Make sure that you download the .zip file.

Once you have the file, please follow these steps:

1. Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.

2. Expand "Display Adapter", right-click the Intel Graphics entry, and click Uninstall.

3. On Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the Intel HD Graphics driver then click OK to start the uninstall process.

4. When the uninstall process is complete, disconnect your computer from the internet and make sure it will not auto connect when reboot. Restart your system.

5. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

6. Open Device Manager

7. Expand the Display adapters section.

8. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software. (Note: The graphics entry may be "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

9. Click Browse my computer for driver software.

10. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are found.

11. Click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

12. Reboot your computer when prompted.

Please let me know the results.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, FLL.

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that I attached in the last post and the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
NHo4
Beginner

Hello Anthony,

I just saw your reply. For some reason I did not receive an alert on your initial response but got an alert on your reminder. Else I would not know you have replied it.

So I will try the remedy and see if it would fix the display and let you know.

0 Kudos
NHo4
Beginner

No.5 lost me.

Where do I find the file to unzip? You do not mention where to download the updated driver, and what version of the driver to download.

0 Kudos
NHo4
Beginner

Need more help on how to install an updated driver because I cannot find information on WHICH driver I should download.

The following method described on Intel site DOES NOT WORK.

Other identification methods

You can use other ways to identify the graphics product in your computer. We don't recommend these methods for beginners.

• Run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Intel® System Support Utility. The utility automatically identifies the computer components, operating system, and driver versions on your computer.
  • Right-click the desktop and select Graphics Properties. Navigate to the Options and Support tab. Look under the Information Center submenu for Accelerator In Use.
  • Go to the Device Manager (Start > Control Panel > Device Manager) and find the Intel® product listed under Display Adapters.
  • Run dxdiag (Start > Run > dxdiag) and observe the Name and Version listed under the display sections.

The video on Intel Help site does not help me to find my existing Graphic chip because it basically is describe the above steps. When I right clicked the desktop empty space, while I can find the Graphic Properties option, and it opened the Intel Graphic Control Panel. UNFORTUNATELY in my computer's Intel Graphic Control Panel, there is NO Information Option on the left side. In fact there is NO MENU AT ALL on the Intel Graphic Control Panel. All it has are the blocks or tiles, for Display, Video, 3D, Profiles, Options and Support (which is useless as all it contains are the hot key definition)

The only way I find any info is under the Device Manager

Here is what it says under Display Adaptor

Driver Date 8/4/15

Driver Version 10.18.14.4264

Under the Events tab - there are 4 Events happened on 2/12/2017

Driver service added (igfx),

Driver Service added (cphs)

Driver Service added (igfxCUIService)

Device installed (igdlh64.inf)

So there have been some automatic updated done to the driver on 2/12/2017.

The Processor is Intel Pentium CPU G3240 @3.106Hz

Driver Date 4/21/2009

Driver Version 6.3.9600.16384

Operating System is Window 8.1 64 bit

I hope the above information would let you identify WHICH updated driver I should download to try to resolve the display issue.

So please tell me WHICH driver I should download from the link below

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers Downloads for Graphics Drivers

Your help is very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, FLL.

I really apologize for that inconvenience. Allow me to share with you the .zip file.

By clicking https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27441/a08/win64_15.36.34.4889.zip here you can download the latest version of the Graphics Drivers for your system. Once you have the file please follow the steps I attached above.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
NHo4
Beginner

Hi Antony

I went thru the process and updated the driver which now shows 12/14/2017 and version 10.18.14.4889. Given the date it should be the latest available.

Upon rebooting the computer, Window PC Protection popped up a warning about a newly installed App would potentially ruin my PC screen... I clicked Run It Anyway. lol.

Then I put the HP monitor resolution back to its native 1980 x 1040 HD display. The text became very thin and tiny so I changed the size from Small (100%) to Medium (125%).

Unfortunately, the green and red shades remain. Also they are getting more pronounced as the monitor is in use longer. i.e. the color shades are less noticeable when the computer first started, but then the colors become more and more noticeable and spread to more areas.

So I guess we can conclude that it is the monitor that cannot perform as its spec, but the Intel graphic is working properly, especially when hooked up the monitor to an HP laptop ran on i3 that was purchased in Mar 2017, the monitor has the same defects just not as pronounced. I will go shop for another monitor, this time probably a Samsung which I previously have good experiences. This HP will go back to Amazon.

Thank you very much for helping me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, FLL.

Thank you very much for your reply and the information provided.

I am terribly sorry to hear that bad experience you are having with your monitor. In the case that you still have problems or need further assistance, do no hesitate to reach us out.

Antony S.
0 Kudos