Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Unable to have the i7-5775C integrated graphic card set as default and GT 1030 as second graphic card

mpall1
Beginner

Hi,

I have a maximus vii impact motherboard with an intel i7-5775C cpu, I set the bios to use the integrated graphic card as default and put in a second graphic card, a GT 1030. Also in the BIOS at the System Agent configuration section... I set the iGPU Multi-Monitor option to enabled, but the computer freeze and does not boot and sometimes gives the message: end of post message to ME: HECI disabled .........

Resetting the bios did not solve the issue.

If I set the gt 1030 as primary card, everything is fine.

I guess I have to blame Intel since it gives the message end of post message to ME: HECI disabled ...........

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello chtulu

Welcome to the community

Thank you for sharing that information, could you let us know the outcome if you set up the bios to default settings and use only the Intel® GPU, without having the discrete card installed. Does the computer boot? Do you get the same errors?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
mpall1
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, yes the computer boots with the integrated 6200 graphics, the computer also boots when having the 6200 graphics cards not set as default and the GT 1030 graphics card.

The computer does not boot, when the 6200 graphics is set to default and the gt 1030 as secondary graphic card.

If I have the 6200 embedded graphic card set as default and I have the gt 1030 inserted in the pci slot, even when in the bios and after 10 seconds the computer freeze and reboot.

So after setting all the bios necessary for multi screen, I insert the gt 1030 card, but than the computer freeze and before that gives the message:

end of post message to ME: HECI disabled ......

This is a serious issue.

I tried to reset the bios, but the issue persists.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello chtulu

Thank you for your reply and the information provided,

Given the information that the computer is able to boot with the Intel® HD graphics and is able to boot with the GT 1030 that means that the problem might be related to the BIOS, my recordation will be updating the BIOS, if the issue persists the best options will be contacting the manufacture of the motherboard for assistance on the bios configuration

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
mpall1
Beginner

Hi,

Is there is any possibility that the Intel management engine sees the GT 1030 as a threat when the HD graphics is set as default?

The bios is already the latest, and I have open a ticket with ASUS, but also I was hoping that you could test this in house.

Regards,

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Was that a (sorry, I have to say it (as I roll my eyes and groan) - but please: no insult intended) feeble attempt at sarcastic humor? If not, thanks for doing it anyway. If you truly do not understand what the ME is and does (and doesn't do), let me attempt to answer the question: No, the ME does not have anything to do with (and certainly has no level of control over) which graphics solution is selected as/by default. If you would like to learn more about the ME, I would suggest that you start with the ME overviews in Wikipedia.

My facetious answer (I can't help myself; I am just in one of those moods) is that Intel does not perceive the graphics solutions from AMD and NVIDIA as being threats. How could they? They are fully aware that their graphics solution simply cannot hold a stick to these other solutions.

Unfortunately, I cannot, with 100% confidence, answer the original question. My understanding was that, while it is possible to switch between which graphics subsystem is being used, the external graphics solution is always presumed to be the default (i.e. because it has been added on, it is perceived to be intended to be a replacement). Again, this is only my understanding and I do not have 100% confidence in it; ICS (Leonardo) will need to research this and provide us with a full-confidence answer.

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much to N. Scott Pearson for providing those details.

chtulu: I hope the information posted previously was useful for you. In this case, the best thing to do will be to wait for ASUS to provide a response for this scenario since they are the manufacturer of the board and they also provide the BIOS for it. By getting in contact with them, they will be able to try to replicate the issue using the same exact motherboard that you have and they also will be able to confirm if there is a new BIOS version needed to fix this problem.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Leonardo C
0 Kudos
mpall1
Beginner

Hi,

@N. Scott Pearson: Yes you are right about your understanding, normally it should be the new card that people want to be the default, but I don't and since the bios gives you the option, it should be able to handle it. As for the ME, yes I red about the Intel Management engine and HECI, but I do not know why I came out with that threat thing, maybe because the message "error end post of message to ME: HECI Disabled .....". Sorry for the inconvenience.

@Intel, Thanks I will follow up the issue with ASUS.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No problem. I agree with Leonardo; next step is asking Asus how they've implemented their hybrid graphics control.

...S

0 Kudos