Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Person tracking capabilities in D400 cameras

ATiro
Beginner

Hi,

I am currently considering purchasing a D435 camera for performing full skeleton tracking operations.

I am developing an app on Unity which performs real time animation of a humanoid avatar by using joint data acquired from a depth camera. I have been using a Kinect 2 since I started, but since Microsoft suspended Kinect's production I'd like to shift to another device.

So my question is: does the new D435 camera perform a reliable skeleton tracking which is suitable to my purpose? I noticed that R200 and SR300 camera have very low body tracking capabilities even though a body tracking module is cited in the SDK documentation.

Thanks in advance,

Alessandro

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

In order to use body / skeleton tracking with the D435 camera, you would need to combine its RealSense SDK 2.0 software with a person / skeleton tracking module on another software platform such as OpenCV. This is because the RealSense SDK 2.0 does not have such features built into it and there are no plans to integrate official Intel-created ones.

RealSense SDK 2.0 does not support Unity yet, though Unity support is coming in a future version.

0 Kudos