Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Is it possible to install the Intel RST Management Console *ONLY*?

AdamB
Beginner

Hello,

I recently purchased a Dell desktop and installed a RAID 1 array using the Intel BIOS RAID. However, there currently is no way to view disk health -- no way to know if one of the drives were to fail. So, I intended to install the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console" package offered by Dell. However, I've read in many places that people are losing their arrays after installing the software with drivers. So, I'm wondering if there is a way to install the management console only so that my array doesn't get wiped out and so I'll be able to monitor the drives for failure.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Adam_B: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology communities. We will do our best to assist you with this scenario.

In regard to your inquiry, no, once you install the Intel® RST it will load the RAID drivers automatically, there is no option to install the management console only, but there should not be any reason why the RAID array will be lost by installing the application.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
AdamB
Beginner

Hi Alberto. Thank you for your reply!

Perhaps there should be no reason why the RAID array will be lost. But, in the research I've done on the application package, there are many users who are losing their existing arrays after installing the RST. Why do you suppose that is? Is there something I can do to ensure I don't share their experience?

At this point I don't have much data to lose, but it takes many hours to load the OS, load the applications, configure system and application setting, etc. And, I'd hate to lose all that work. Please let me know any thoughts you have on how I can safeguard against losing the array as others have experienced. I want to have all the information I can before attempting the install. :-)

Thanks for your time!

-Adam

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Adam_B: You are very welcome. Thank you very much for that feedback, from our end there are no reports stating there are users losing their existing array, in this case what we suggest is to back up all the important information you have and then test the application.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
JJaeg
New Contributor I

If you have a RAID array on an Intel chipset, it is quite likely that you in fact already have Intel RST drivers installed.

Sometimes people install newer (or older) drivers, and it causes them problems.

What I'd suggest is to first see what drivers you are using now. Open up Device Manager, and then expand "Storage Controllers". Look for an entry that has Intel SATA RAID in its name (the exact name seems to vary by what chipset your machine has, and what version of the drivers are installed).

Right Click on that, and select properties, then click the Driver tab, and on that page, the Driver Details button. It will tell you what release you have (File Version). Make sure that the SetupRST.exe you are using is at the same general level as the drivers (or, if you got it from Dell for your specific machine it is probably OK). Slightly older is usually OK.

Now, as for running setup. There is indeed an option for installing just the RST user interface.

SetupRST.exe -Nodrv

Will install the UI, but not touch your drivers.

0 Kudos
AdamB
Beginner

Thanks for the info, cube1us2.

Since I've already run the full installation package, I won't be able to try this out. But, I will make a note of it in my "OS Reinstall" notes. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

0 Kudos
JJaeg
New Contributor I

I believe that you can still run the setup with the -Nodrv option even though you have already run the full install. It will re-install the user interface, tray tool, etc. - just not the drivers. Handy for the next time Windows Update deletes the user interface (but leaves the drivers).

0 Kudos