Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

Total cost of ownership (power consumtion)

PDéno
Beginner

At current prices, I can get 2 older Xeon E5-2630 Sandy bridge EP (2.3 Ghz, six cores) for less then one Xeon E3-1245 v6. I do not really need the extra processing speed and I wonder how much difference there is in power consumption for those 2 CPU. I want to know if there will be any significant difference in my electricity bill?

Officially, Sandy bridges are obsolete, but I still have an i7-2600 and I have no short term plan to remove it from active duty. It is still fast, even though both Intel and AMD have released newer chips.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello pdenommee,

I understand that you want information about the power consumption of the Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1245 v6 and the Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2630, let me help you with this.

I regret to inform you that the power consumption will depend of the features of each processor (software) and the hardware you are using, For instance, the processor integrates Enhanced speed step technology, this will help reducing power consumption. Please check this info "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology is an advanced means of enabling high performance while meeting the power-conservation needs of mobile systems. Conventional Intel SpeedStep® Technology switches both voltage and frequency in tandem between high and low levels in response to processor load. Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology builds upon that architecture using design strategies such as Separation between Voltage and Frequency Changes, and Clock Partitioning and Recovery."

Hope it helps.

Ciany C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ProPurDot,

I was wondering if you need further assistance with your Intel® Xeon® Processor

Best regards,Ciany C.

0 Kudos
PDéno
Beginner

I do not require any assistance now. The Xeon has been ordered, but it has not been delivered yet. I expect the motherboard to be the last part to arrive. I will not have any further question until assembly begins and the installation process looks very easy.

0 Kudos