cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3.84TB DC S4500 Spontaneous Failures - "disable logical state" - How/Why?

AWhit11
New Contributor

A couple of weeks ago I lost one S4500 3.84TB, I have 10 connected to an Adaptec HBA 1000 16i, via the SAS backplane in an Intel R2312GZ4GC4 server. I bought 3 more as spares and for testing in another machine.

The drive appeared to just spontaneously brick when part of a Windows Server 2016 Storage Pool used for hosting VM storage over SMB3, this caused the pool to lock up and I had to power cycle the server to regain responsiveness.

I couldn't bring the drive back online, so I disconnected it and connected to a plain SATA port on a PC and used isdct, whatever I try to do results in a message saying "Selected drive is in a disable logical state".

# isdct show -intelssd 1

- Intel SSD DC S4500 Series PHYS736000XXXXXXXX -

Bootloader : Property not found

DevicePath : /dev/sg2

DeviceStatus : Selected drive is in a disable logical state.

Firmware : SCV10100

FirmwareUpdateAvailable : Please contact Intel Customer Support for further assistance at the following website: http://www.intel.com/go/ssdsupport.

Index : 1

ModelNumber : INTEL SSDSC2KB038T7

ProductFamily : Intel SSD DC S4500 Series

SerialNumber : PHYS736000XXXXXXXX

Is there any way to get the drives out of this state?

I've now had another two drives in the same system fail within minutes of each other, leaving the storage pool unrecoverable. Any ideas what would cause this to happen to 3 drives out of 13 drives in a short period of time. Unless I can work out a cause I don't see any option but to return the drives, that kind of failure rate for a supposed data centre drive makes them not fit for purpose.

2 REPLIES 2

Andres_V_Intel
New Contributor

Hello iamafish,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® SSD DC S4500 Series.

I understand that you have three SSDs with a "Selected drive is in a disable logical state" device status.

I regret to inform you that this kind of status is considered a "catastrophic failure", and there is not suggested troubleshooting to re-enable the drive.

What I recommend is to contact support in order to initiate a warranty replacement ticket (as long as the drive is still within warranty). Please follow this link to contact the corresponding support:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @3

Sometimes, this kind of issue is due to some sort of power irregularity that results in a damaged controller. So I would also recommend you to check the power stage of your system.

Regards,

Andres V.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello iamafish,

I was wondering if you have any updates. Did you contacted the suggested support team? In case you consider that you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact us. Regards,Andres V.