Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Asus PRIME B250-plus won't boot with Rapid Storage technology enabled.

AVerv
Beginner

Hi everyone!

I have just bought 16gb of intel optane memory and I have plugged it in, I have updated my BIOS and tried every setting that I needed to use to enable Intel Optane memory, but every time I tried to disable csm, enable rapid storage technology and put SATA mode selection on the other option it would just give a bsod or it would just send me back to the BIOS. I can't seem to make it work in any way, is there anyone who could help me?

My specs are:

-Asus PRIME b-250 plus

-Intel i3 7100

-8gb ddr4 ballistix

-corsair cx450m

-msi gtx 1050ti overclocked edition

I hope someone here can help me, thanks!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Fazz31,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

I understand that you are experiencing an issue setting up your system.

Could you please tell me if you are connecting your Optane memory via the M.2_2 socket of your motherboard (please check image below)? Which port you are using to connect the drive you want to accelerate to the motherboard? Could you please provide more details regarding the drive you want to accelerate with the Optane memory?

Also, in order to provide the adequate assistance, I'll be needing more details about your system, could you please attach the report generated by our System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-)?

I'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
AVerv
Beginner

Hi Andres!

Thanks for the fast response!

My Intel Optane Memory module is connected to the M.2_2 Socket. I have 2 hard drives, a Samsung HD502HI and a WDC WD5000LPVX-00V0TT0. First they were in the SATA slots 1 and 2, now I have placed them in 3 and 4. The one I want to accelerate is the WDC drive that is in SATA slot 4, it is a HDD.

Here is the report.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home(10.0.16299 Build 16299)

Physical Memory (Installed): 8 GB

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz

System Type: x64-based PC

Total Installed Updates: 37 Updates - See Detailed View for more information

Display Adapter(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 23.21.13.8813

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

System Model: PRIME B250-PLUS

Network Adapter(s): Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller # 2 9.1.406.2015

Disk(s): INTEL MEMPEK1W016GA 0.0 bytes (available) 10.0.16299.192

SAMSUNG HD502HI 319,89 GB (available) 10.0.16299.192

WDC WD5000LPVX-00V0TT0 25,86 GB (available) 10.0.16299.192

Kind regards, Fazz31

0 Kudos
AVerv
Beginner

here is more info on the WDC drive!

Capablities Random Access, Supports Writing, SMART Notification

Caption WDC WD5000LPVX-00V0TT0

Cylinder - Total 60801

Description Schijfstation

Driver Not Available

Driver Date 06-21-2006 12:00

Driver Version 10.0.16299.192

Error Code Device is working properly

Firmware Revision 01.01A01

Heads - Total 255

Index 1

INF disk.inf

Install Date Not Available

Interface Type IDE

Manufacturer (Standaardschijfstations)

Model WDC WD5000LPVX-00V0TT0

Name \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1

Partitions 1

Physical Sector Size 4096

PNP Device ID SCSI\DISK&VEN_WDC&PROD_WD5000LPVX-00V0T\4&BFDEFCD&0&030000

Policies Read Retention Priority=EqualPriority, Write Retention Priority=EqualPriority, Scalar Prefetch=Not Available, Block Prefetch=Not Available

Sectors - Per Track 63

Sectors - Total 976768065

Serial Number WD-WXL1E649VUHP

Size 465,76 GB

Size – Available 25,86 GB

SMART Attributes Self-Test: 111 minutes, OK, Short Self-Test: 2 minutes, OK

Status OK

Tracks - Per Cylinder 255

Tracks - Total 15504255

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Fazz31,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

You mention that you want to accelerate your Western Digital* HDD, is this your boot drive or your secondary drive (storage only)? Is this drive formatted with a GPT partition?

Additionally, is this an out-of-the-box issue?

In the meantime, please contact your motherboard manufacturer technical support team ( https://www.asus.com/us/support/) in order to find out if your motherboard's drivers and BIOS are updated with the latest version. This as a suggestion based from your motherboard's user manual ( http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_B250-PLUS/E12111_PRIME_B250-PLUS_UM_web.pdf?_ga=2.91784863.422285089.1528837262-738251197.1528413013) page viii:

Before using Intel® Optane™ memory modules, ensure that you have updated your motherboard drivers and BIOS to the latest version from ASUS support website.

As a side note, and just in case, please keep in mind that systems with two bootable drives--that is, one drive with one OS and another drive with a second OS--aren't a supported configuration, and results can't be guaranteed.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
AVerv
Beginner

Hi Andres,

my Western Digital HDD is my boot drive, when I look at this pc in my files I see the windows sign above the WDC drive, I think that means that windows is stored on that drive, it may be a possible that there is a second windows OS stored on the Samsung drive, when I first got the Samsung drive it had windows XP on it, then I got the WDC drive and plugged it in and then I downloaded windows 10 on the WDC drive. In the Samsung drive there is a file called windows old and a file called windows. My BIOS is the latest version I have updated that lately. Both drives are formatted with MBR.

regards, Fazz31.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Fazz31,

Thank you for the clarification.

You mention that both drives are formatted with MBR (which is not a compatible partition style) and that both drives have an OS installed, so either of these may be causing the issue that you described.

As stated here (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023994/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023994/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html), one of the base requirements to run Intel® Optane™ memory is to have an Intel® Optane memory ready UEFI BIOS (Legacy BIOS mode isn't supported), and that can only be set on a HDD formatted with a GPT partition.

The next step would be to either convert the HDD partition from MBR to GPT (as suggested by community member CashGrab in the following community thread /message/483145# 483145 https://communities.intel.com/message/483145# 483145) or reinstall your OS on a hard drive with a GPT partition style. Also, when rerunning the corresponding installation process, please ensure that no OS is installed in any secondary drive that you may have connected on the motherboard.

If you have any updates or questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
AVerv
Beginner
0 Kudos
AVerv
Beginner

Oh and one more question, if I delete windows on the Samsung drive, will it affect anything or is that just possible...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Fazz31,

Deleting the OS currently present on the secondary drive will not solve the first issue we want to address, which is the partition format of your booting drive. Although, once you change the partition style of your primary HDD, I recommend you to test installing the Optane memory without a secondary HDD connected to the motherboard (or at least not one with an OS installed).

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
AVerv
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Fazz31,

I was wondering if you have any updates.

Have you tried using a HDD with a compatible partition style?

In case you are interested, here are the steps to convert your MBR partition to a GPT partition:

1. Backup all files on your system

2. Convert partition table from MBR to GPT with MBR2GPT.exe in order to allow the system to boot after the BIOS change:a. Open Command Prompt with administrator privilegesb. Issue the following command: mbr2gpt.exe /convert /allowfullOS3. Shut down and boot into your BIOS

4. Press F7 to go to the advanced mode.

5. Go to Boot\CMS (Compatibility Support Module) and make sure is disabled.

6. Go to advanced\PCH Storage Configuration and check the following information:a. SATA Mode Selection: Intel RST Premium with Intel(R) Optane(TM) System Acceleration(RAID).7. After that please press F10 to save changes and restart.

A recovery screen may appear and it is expected. After that, he should be able to access Windows and enable Optane.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Fazz31,

I was wondering if you have any updates.

In case you consider that you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos